Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and found both good and bad things, but the problem is that the info is mostly old. Has anybody had one of these seats the last year or two, so they can chime in on how the quality is now? They look comfortable, I'm using Road Hawk air cushions on the stock seat, but it looks dumb, and the passenger seat should really push my wife backwards towards the back rest on the Givi case, not forwards against me, like it's now.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ordered one today, they promised that they had changed the production process, so the seats were totally waterproof. I'll update with my opinion...in a few months, when the bike's on the road again.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because of hysterical work schedule and a few problems my longest ride so far is about 15 minutes. That's not enough to say anthying. But I haven't forgotten. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Because of hysterical work schedule and a few problems my longest ride so far is about 15 minutes. That's not enough to say anthying. But I haven't forgotten. ;)
Looking forward to a review. I'm going on a 10 day ride around Europe in August and I'm considering getting a replacement for the standard seat.

Not sure why Honda produced a bike that is so well engineered and fit such an uncomfortable seat. Cost cutting I assume.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts
Not sure why Honda produced a bike that is so well engineered and fit such an uncomfortable seat. Cost cutting I assume.
Cost cutting? :confused:

Wasn't the Blackbird first introduced as a "hyper-sports" bike? :huh:

Sports bike seats aren't made for comfort... :rolleyes:

Oh, and another point: I can't remember ever seeing a Blackbird original seat that looked "worn", much less "worn out". :hmm:

...Just sayin' loike... :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's true. They do seem durable. Mine has done over 40,000 miles and the seat hasn't worn at all. Just feels a bit firm after a full day of riding.

I think as it is such a good touring bike, I keep forgetting that it was originally designed to be a hypersports bike.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
Yep if you look at the seat lines it's narrow at the tank to allow you get off the side. If your arms are long enough you can settle back into the wider section. But even still 300 miles it gets to be a but burner. Having to stop for fuel every 200 miles helps some.

Reactions: DAngel

·
Registered
326 Posts
Having to stop for fuel every 200 miles helps some.
...It helps a lot if you've got a long way to go! :thumb:

Years ago, In my "group riding" days I always made sure to "have a good whinge" at my modern-sports-bike-buddies...:D

..."You're always having to stop every five minutes to "put some petrol in and have a rest" - what are ya - pensioners?!" :eyebrows:

(Well... yeah - now they are!). :D

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Cost cutting? :confused:

Wasn't the Blackbird first introduced as a "hyper-sports" bike? :huh:

Sports bike seats aren't made for comfort... :rolleyes:

Oh, and another point: I can't remember ever seeing a Blackbird original seat that looked "worn", much less "worn out". :hmm:

...Just sayin' loike... :D
+1 I bought a later model SH seat a few years back to get a spare as I intended to get it modified but haven't gotten around to doing it :O I did replace the original with the one I bought as it seemed less "saggy" and the rear section is stippled which helps stop the missus sliding forward ;)

The Bird seat is a massive improvement over seats on pure sports bikes like Fireblades/R1's/Gixxers etc especially the pillion seat but still gets uncomfortable after a few hundred km's although when the missus is on the back she notices it before me :crap:
For me and my weight it's the "packing down" of the padding in the seat bone area that I notice most ;)

Yep if you look at the seat lines it's narrow at the tank to allow you get off the side. If your arms are long enough you can settle back into the wider section. But even still 300 miles it gets to be a but burner. Having to stop for fuel every 200 miles helps some.
Yeah it works quite well for what it is but as far as a "touring" seat it needs more/firmer padding ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
I switch to my Russel Day long for touring.

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
My touring saddle

IMG_0121.JPG

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I still haven't managed to get out on a real drive, but I can say that the seat does not let in water at all. I have both washed the bike and had it outside in heavy rain, and wiping off the seat was all I needed to do. No water at all got inside the outer cover.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm on my second TS seat. No water issues but durability I'd question. My last seat failed at the seams (fyi she lives outside 24/7/365, but sub 4yrs not great). For the price I expected better life span. I've still gone back though.

Pros: comfortable, stylish customisation. Helpful customer service (despite other negative comments they've always been good to me….. for those who know Europe that's one hell of a statement for a Beef to make re a Frog).

Cons: split round the seams sooner than one would wish. Pricey. Heating elements not that great re level of warmth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts