Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I bought a replacement double bubble screen the other day, from the eBay user racescreens for £20 last week, and I just wanted to report that although you get your moneys worth, it didn't fit too well and doesn't come with a 'Honda' decal. Also, it's only just tinted enough to hide the connector block/cables in front of the clocks. You get what you pay for as usual, but it'll do.

If you're curious why I bought a new screen: Filling up with petrol, I caught the lip of the tank filler and a small amount sprayed on the screen. Before I could do anything, it permanently damaged it...bugger. :(

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
Tinted Givi touring screen for me. Bad luck, yes, you get what you pay for.

·
just do it
5,669 Posts
I had a touring screen fitted for about 8 months,they work well at high speeds,but decided to go back to the origanal
mine didnt have the honda sign either not sure if any do but the stock.

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
Did the guy say in his original ad that the screen would fit well and that it would come with a Honda decal?

Are you saying that the petrol splatter did not wash off your screen? Have you tried the Honda Spray Polish, which is simply the best stuff I've ever used for cleaning.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did the guy say in his original ad that the screen would fit well and that it would come with a Honda decal?
I have to say there's nothing other than what colours are available and what it does. It's a fair cop and I knew I shouldn't expect much - just wanted to warn anyone as cheap as me! :evilaugh: It does fit well enough, just not as nice as I'd like really. But again, I can't complain!

Here's the original ebay listing: CLICKIE LINKIE

Are you saying that the petrol splatter did not wash off your screen? Have you tried the Honda Spray Polish, which is simply the best stuff I've ever used for cleaning.
That's right, permanently marked. I've got a friend who oddly knows more about plastic and finishes than anyone I know, and he said I'd buggered the UV coating. I did try some excellent plastic type polish and it didn't even touch it. I could actually feel the difference of the surface, not something I can polish out really - just a mistaka to maka! :rant:

·
xxx99
837 Posts
I have a 02 and want a screen off a carbie. The carbie screens do not say honda on them and I think it looks clean. They have a honda sticker on the fairing and the FI's the honda is inside the screen with that new color. I am not sure how a little fuel could ruin a screen but ya I will buy a quality screen if I ever go aftermarket - but like I said if someone has a screen off a carbie for sale PM me......:)

·
just do it
5,669 Posts
The stock screens are very well made flexible and finished well and do not vibrate at high speed.
Where some of the cheaper ones are thinner and poorly made.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 02 and want a screen off a carbie. The carbie screens do not say honda on them and I think it looks clean. They have a honda sticker on the fairing and the FI's the honda is inside the screen with that new color. I am not sure how a little fuel could ruin a screen but ya I will buy a quality screen if I ever go aftermarket - but like I said if someone has a screen off a carbie for sale PM me......:)
Umm, embarrassing to ask, but what's a carbie? :)

sounds like a polysterene screen. ewww...
It seemed a good quality tinted screen - I'll take pictures later. Is the original clear?

The stock screens are very well made flexible and finished well and do not vibrate at high speed.
Where some of the cheaper ones are thinner and poorly made.
Hmm, come to think about it, at certain speeds the original one did move a little, but very little.

I love the stock screen!!
Great, just what I wanted to hear!:crap:

:smilebig:

·
phastasphuck
1,248 Posts
I bought the dark tint from them no issues with fit............I dropped it and scratched it mailed them it arrived scratched they sent me a new one free.............the old one is now on my mates bird, guess you were unlucky

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi

A good price/quality ratio is the PUIG one, not expensive but very efficient:

eBay | Puig Racing-Scheibe Zub.für Honda CBR 1100 XX Blackbird schw Verkleidungsscheibe

First I had an aéromax from Ermax, but the protection was very limited.
Cheers for that :)

I bought the dark tint from them no issues with fit............I dropped it and scratched it mailed them it arrived scratched they sent me a new one free.............the old one is now on my mates bird, guess you were unlucky
Yeah, they do have a high turn over, so I guess I'm just unlucky.

Since then I've speed tested it and the original one I had was MUCH better, so looks like I'll be getting another one when finances permit!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right, thought I'd share some more :)

Here's a website that refers to petrol damaging plastic, they sound quite bright to me!: http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=188055

A
nd I've attached some pictures, showing the new double bubble (which I don't like at high speed) and the damaged screen.

img-20120923-00010.jpg img-20120923-00011.jpg img-20120923-00012.jpg img-20120923-00013.jpg img-20120923-00014.jpg

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dont throw that sheild out BikerChris! You can always paint it like I did...

Cops dont notice, never use it for viewing anything anyway! Gives it a sharper look (IMO)...

DSC04213.JPG

Reactions: bullit
1 - 18 of 18 Posts