Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My radiator recently developed a leak and I was shopping around on Ebay, partzilla, local salvage yards, etc. I noticed on ebay I can get a brand new shiny Aluminum Radiator for prices that vary anywhere from $45-$130. Why is this? Is there a difference between the OEM radiator and these aluminum ones on ebay?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Here in Oz there has been a major in flux of the Chinese aluminum radiators in the last couple of years ranging from $ 110 to $240 AU' , I dropped one in a few months back and have suffered no ill effects at all, I'd go for one again

·
Super Moderator
12,455 Posts
Sights said:
Is there a difference between the OEM radiator and these aluminum ones on ebay?
the quality of the welding! The OE rad end tanks are 'formed' whilst the Chinese rads are generally made from sheet and welded .... some seem to use a lot of pieces where one would do so it is good to see a photo at least before buying!

That said I bought a Chinese aluminium rad a few months ago using my own advice for £38 (couldn't resist) and it appears well built. Bit of a no brainer to have as a spare. Previously I imported an OE one from the states .... total cost inc taxes just over £300. OE in the UK now stands at approx. £650!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I bought a chinese one a few months back , my spannergirl reported no issues with fitting etc (although some people have had to make little tweaks from what I've seen on FB) and Tango now runs much cooler than she ever did

(all in C)
Open road was 85-90 now 75-85
Following traffic was 90-100 now 85-95
Brief Stationary 100-105 now 95-100
Longer Stationary/Very Slow traffic 105-112 now 100-107

ALso after being stationary/in traffic the temp drops a lot quicker than she used too once you get moving again

·
Registered
440 Posts
Previous owner put a Chinese after market rad on my bike .
I Can honestly say that it works just fine, the one thing to look out for is the position of the overflow spigot.
If its not welded on in the position of the OEM one, its going to be a pig to fit a hose in there ( too tight to the fairing ) this is my exact problem, but solved with the alluminium neck off of a radio control fuel refill bottle.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Well there you go SIGHTS its a bit of a no brainer that they get the thumbs from the gurus ( DUCK & MIKEY :clap: ) so go for it :thumb:

·
bladebird
1,222 Posts
HI any chance of a link or something to the exact ones that are good its something i would like to do
for the price many thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,627 Posts

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
HI they may not post to the uk no probs will look
mate don't get one from down here freight would be a killer, your markets must be saturated as well so as long as you get the right radiator that being off set or vertical at the radiator cap you can't go wrong, Cheer's

·
bladebird
1,222 Posts
HI iv looked at this was there any particular reason why you chose one of the most expensive
and there is a pic which shows the rad what looks like its upside down which to me says when you upright it
the rad cap and hose would be on the wrong side or facing the wrong way

·
Super Moderator
12,455 Posts
The prices change from week to week so it pays to have an alert running, generally when a new batch appears the price is lower and as stock disappears the price rises.
The upside down photo is just plain wrong!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
HI iv looked at this was there any particular reason why you chose one of the most expensive
and there is a pic which shows the rad what looks like its upside down which to me says when you upright it
the rad cap and hose would be on the wrong side or facing the wrong way
In my case it was cos someone else provided me the link to the one which worked for him and it worked for me :)

As for price whichever way yo ulook at it its cheaper than OEM or even the JAWS supplied ones (which I suspect are probably just chinese sourced anyways)

·
bladebird
1,222 Posts
What a dick head i am Iv just realised the pic is the rad laid on its front if you turn your laptop on its side
it actually uprights the pic and looks fine haha

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I appreciate all the responses sorry I myself have not replied i've been very busy. Thank you all for the advice and I am going to purchase one tonight! If I have any problems with it I'll update.

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
I also encourage you to buy rad guards for oil and rad. They are available, Jaws and e-bay. Just one more level of protection as well as a fender extender.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts