Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have proof as I saw my First REDBIRD today.
Ok, it was in my driveway but it was a sighting!
Oil done, new power source mounted. Will change front tire on a warm spring day! Cleaned her up, cleaned and adjusted the chain. She's ready for flight!!!!

Anyone within a days ride want to show me how to adjust the valves?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was hoping mid March... but you're up in Minnesota!

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
You have more snow than I do.
Ironically I am doing valves today, what I have learned is it's not as simple as reading the book and measuring.As my friend put it (he's a lic tech with 25 yrs experience), "there's a feel to it." I've done it twice and never feel sure about it.Seriously, I'd rather install rods and pistons.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've gapped plenty of valves and have the feel down but its been on diesels and gas car engines and my daughters Honda NC700X'S but never bucket and shim on a motorcycle. I have removed the cam sprocket on the other daughter's Rebel and taken the head off and got it all back together but doing the ST1300 and the CBR 1100XX is intimidating to me since I've never seen it done.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
It's not that bad XX. You'll need a mirror and a straight edge. 6 inch stainless steel ruler works great, and patience. Chances are they will be fine. I haven't had to make any changes in mine since I bought it 177,000 miles ago. I went over 195 last night. If you get stuck you have my number.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cringe a bit but it's off the lift now. Changing oil on the ST1300 and putting a power source and voltmeter combo on it today. Then I have to get to the 2015 Goldwing. I have to get that ready for a 1 month trip at the end of July. I have to put some driving lights on it, bar setbacks, my hitch, a trailer connector that supports electric brakes, maybe another power source.
After my Dad passed away I left my trailer outside and the cover became micro-cracked from the sun. It became water soaked and I have to repair and clean that up too. So time. I need time to do those valves so I'm not going to do them for a while. I know, I know!!!! The ST and GW will see more riding until it gets warmer in late may or June.
Hmmm, maybe I should ride the BB down to Surprise, AZ in May!!! I have time between May 29th and June 10th!!! Isn't that when you guys do your devil's run Bees?

I do have the mirror and 6" steel ruler.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
Yes but won't be making that run this year. Misses was diagnosed with RA and it has taken her off the bike. It sucks not having her with me I miss our rides very much. Hoping the warm weather and meds get her back. If you get down this way we can tackle it over a weekend for sure.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's right. I forgot about Tuesday. That is a painful thing. My grandmother had it in her hands. Hopefully warmer weather will help.

I will talk with Loraine and Maybe you'll see me! What about sandsquidxx I haven't heard from him on the forum. He doing ok?

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
His business has him working non stop. He gets out to run the spars on occasion. But works got him off bike alot
Let me know if your heading my way.
Will still run the devil on occasions but I'll probably only do it with select group. Or by request.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hopefully a good way. Saw your website. Some nice stuff on there. Algonquin isn't far away at all.
My wife walked into the garage after I put the bags on it and exclaimed... You turned it into a Goldwing!

Bags and trunk don't affect it at all... unless you're around 170 mph or higher... but that's another story on another thread of mine. Son at 18 decided to see if he could cheat death... so far he has!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yup. A great way.
I think Candy Glory Red is my only other choice I could go with if I was offered something outside a ‘99 or ‘00.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts