Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang

I'm relatively new to the site and I have lots of questions, yet don't really know how to navigate to get what I need. I own a 99 Black Bird and am in need of advice on several things. My challenge is that I've just reentered the work force after two years of un/underemployment. I need new tires, a chain and eventually skins for the bird. My bird is my transportation and I also need info on cold weather riding gear as I've ridden home to New Orleans from Memphis and damn near froze my ass off on the return trip. Additionally, I am interested in luggage for the bird as I'm tired of carrying items via back pack.

I'm asking because I'm trying to avoid costly trial and error episodes with this bike. I've been riding for 11 years, although this is the first time my two wheeler is my only source for transportation. In short, I need the wisdom of the Black Bird Sage's to help me along my journey.

Oh, is anyone on the board near or in Memphis, TN?

Thanks in advance,
Dbljpdy (Rob)

·
follically challenged
10,716 Posts
welcome

soft bags are cheap and work fine but they aren´t in the 55 litres area,
hard cases do cost. so it´s up to you... do a search here for luggage. i have a mix of different things:

a givi top case and soft sidebags from oxford for the big journey and a givi speedpack if i only need things for one day (see pics in my galeries)

if it´s cold when you ride - it will cost you, sorry. good gear isn´t cheap.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Cli-MAX Riding Gear & Motorcycle Accessories Home Page | Cli-MAXRidingGear.com

Decent prices on Givi and Shad hard cases and mounts for both. Givi is great gear, but don't sell out Shad. It's the OEM gear for BMW and KTM, so they must be doing something right. Hard top case is great for a daily commuter, and as heisti said, soft bags for everything else is an affordable alternative that serves a purpose. Sportech makes some good looking soft bags.

·
just do it
5,669 Posts
As above, and take your time and have a look and read at the forum posts,lots of info from owners with years of ownership,and experience its a great way to get to know your bike,cheers.

·
Agent 86
78 Posts
Welcome to the site, tyres... Well i am currently running Michelin power roads 2ct which are a duel compound tyre & have over 11000kms on them so far they seem to grip & handle nice, I believe there is a newer version on the market now, don't know how many more kms I will get but already happy with that I've done so far. Yep cold weather gear is Gunna cost you, I also use Oxford heated grips which are not the cheapest but do work well & easy to fit. You might want to have a look on eBay for some used cold weather gear, never know what you might find. Good luck & enjoy your bird.

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
Welcome. I have 3 Givi hard bags with led lighting as running lights, turn signals and brake lites. I use www.gerbing.com for heated gear. Which I just used on a trip to Oregon. Great gear, wouldn't tour without it. Or radar. I don't use heated grips.

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
Hello and welcome to the group!
I'd go for a quality chain and sprickets, like the DID or the Ek ones.
Most modern tyres are above par, so you got choice there.
And yes, hard luggage make your life a lot easier!
I'd look at ebay for luggage, they do come every now and again. The rest you can look for deals on ebay or locally.
Just remember to use quality parts, so that you keep on moving.
Good luck on the new job man! I have also been 2 years unemployed myself man..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of of your input and suggestions. I'm seriously considering a set of Shinko's 005's for the bird being budget conscious at this time. Anyone ever run these? Thoughts, comments? Oh and I need suggestions on brands of rain gear that you guys like and would recommend. @ elvetost, keep your head up man and don't give up, you'll land something.

·
here's jonny
1,434 Posts
welcome, all the big questions in one.
givi and bagster. check out my pics, like having 3 suitcases and a travel bag on board.
i use maxxis, ride hard with and without pillion and luggage, wet and dry, and sometimes snow.
get good base layers, and after 20 years since first bike fitted oxford heated grips, great when gloves are wet.not used in real cold yet, cant wait.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey Rob! I live in Oak grove,ky. It's about 3 1/2 hours from memphis(my home town). I was just there recently picking up my "Bird". It's a '97 one owner, 5,908 miles, garage kept! I just joined this site, it would be nice to talk shop sometime, take care, Wayne. P.S. I lived in Metarie when I was a kid!

·
Registered
14,013 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Definitely check Ebay for used luggage. I was able to get an Oxford humpback tail bag for $27 shipped. There was a magnetic humpback tank bag on there this week that was $65 shipped and got no bids. I would've bought it if I hadn't already bought one (new $115) last week. Really just depends how much you need to carry with you as to what you need.

·
Registered
539 Posts
You don't have to spend a lot of money to stay warm.

Your legs can stand a lot of wind at lower temps so even a pair of long johns will help cut out a lot of the cold. The three main areas you want to keep from getting cold are: 1) Your neck 2) Your torso 3) Your hands.

If you can keep these areas comfortable you can go for a long time. Heat tape for under your grips can be purchased for about $50 and can be installed in a few hours. A baliclava and helmet skirt can be had for aprx $25.00 and a decent heated vest can be gotten for about $100.

If you can afford it I would suggest replacing the stock screen, it actually speeds airflow up making you colder. A high shield like the MRA Touring will keep a lot of wind off you.

Here is a vid I made of cold weather riding. I ride year round up here in Canada.

Best of luck.

Cold Weather Riding Gear - YouTube

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
www.icebreaker.com Don't wear high tech clothes that smell to high heaven after a day in the saddle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wayne,

That's good stuff! I've been in Memphis since 92 when i moved from NOLA. I grew up in the lower 9th ward and attended McDonogh 35 graduating in 83. I've owned my bird for about 18 months and it's been a blast. Drop me a line when you're heading back to the "M" town. I live in midtown in the Annsdale Park area. I'd appreciate talking shop.

·
Registered
111 Posts
For cold day riding it's hard to beat a heated vest, checkout tour master synergy, easy to install and i find keeing the core bdoy warm is all I need to be comfortable on frosty days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts