Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I’ve recently bought a super blackbird and I love it! But today I’m having some issues….. so she struggles to start compared to normal but idles fine at just around 1000rpm. But when I pull away and accelerate it bogs, jolts and won’t accelerate like it should or past 8000rpm. Any help would be appreciated.
Fuel pressure regulator replaced 600miles ago
New spark plugs replaced 600miles ago
Injectors were cleaned 600miles ago
Full service 600 miles ago too

·
Registered
🏍Bird 1 - Carb 1998 🏍Bird 2 - Carb 1998
169 Posts
Is it a carbed or injection?

My Bird1 had a similar issue recently, and it turned out to be the carburettor diaphragms that were tool old and in bad shape.
They were not pulling enough to open the large needle and the rpm would struggle to go over 7k rpm.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
You have an FPR, then a fuel injected unit.

As stated above, check running battery voltage. Rig up a voltmeter to view while riding. Charging system is a known weak link on these machines. Can be upgraded...recommended. Anyway, min 12.5V thru max 14.5V.

Second, you may have a clogged fuel filter or dicey fuel pump. There is a test for pressure and flow. Its in the manual on this site. Type in "service manual" into search community above. Might take some digging. PDF 500+ pages.

·
Registered
🏍Bird 1 - Carb 1998 🏍Bird 2 - Carb 1998
169 Posts
Update**** now won’t start so I can’t ride it!! 🤬🤬
What is the symptom for not starting?
Drained battery? Do you have dashboard lights when ignition on etc...?
Look at Fizzy suggestions which make sense and start troubleshooting the battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is the symptom for not starting?
Drained battery? Do you have dashboard lights when ignition on etc...?
Look at Fizzy suggestions which make sense and start troubleshooting the battery.
So I have no warning lights on and it turns over fine. Sputters as if it was going to start but immediately dies. I’m clueless now.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Sounds like battery is ok.

Upon ignition switch on, you should hear the fuel pump whir for about 4 secs. Does this happen?

If yes (normal) then check fuel filter and/or fuel pump. Both are inside the tank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like battery is ok.

Upon ignition switch on, you should hear the fuel pump whir for about 4 secs. Does this happen?

If yes (normal) then check fuel filter and/or fuel pump. Both are inside the tank.
Yes I hear the fuel pump prime and I have also tried letting it prime twice and still no different. I will check the fuel filter and pump next.
Anything else I could check while I have the tank off? It was absolutely fine in the morning but after about 50 miles of riding It decided to play up.

·
Administrator
12,983 Posts
So I have no warning lights on and it turns over fine.
This doesn't mean the battery is OK, the Bird (and other Honda's) can spin over fine and not fire when the battery is dying. Happened to me at the MOT station last year. :rolleyes:
Worth getting the battery tested just be be sure .....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This doesn't mean the battery is OK, the Bird (and other Honda's) can spin over fine and not fire when the battery is dying. Happened to me at the MOT station last year. :rolleyes:
Worth getting the battery tested just be be sure .....
Would it cause it to run shit as well?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Like fizzy put check your charging system, get a volt meter on your battery, see what volts it's at sat there, then start it, see how fare they drop, then rev it 3000 to 4000 and see what the volts are... if you have basically service her already I suspect electrical like stator rec/rec,, and when you get a volt meter you can always check your coils and leads.

·
Administrator
9,595 Posts
Also check the voltage at the battery. You want to see no lower that 9 to 9.5 volts. If it does then as mentioned the bike won't fire when cranking.

Reactions: H15BBD
1 - 16 of 16 Posts