Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I need left and right bottom fairings replaced and have a guy that will hook up a paint job on em. Do i need to worry about putting a heat shield anywhere and does anyone know the paint code for the black with the metal flecks in it?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Yes you will need a heat shield on both sides. Paint code for machine is on stick on label on rear subframe under seat.

·
Super Moderator
8,479 Posts
Also make sure it says injection molded in the description. If it says compression molded run away very fast.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup....injection molded. So im pretty sure the current fairings are aftermarket cuz i cant find any kind of Honda emblem on the inside but also see no heat shields so I have no idea where to put them. Is there some kind of roll on product i can buy?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Wow..... that's cheap....... I think the heat shields you ask about are the leg deflectors that prevent hot air from flowing directly onto the riders legs. My 05 only has sound deadening foam inside the fairing lower cowls. I can't see clearly in the above pics but it looks like the black parts are the lower cowl leg shields and dash panels (?). I have ridden mine in summer with the oem leg shields off (to reduce engine temp) and there was no real problem with heat on my legs (I wear knee & shin armour so that helps a bit). I've even ridden without the lower cowls in place...... but needed strong cable ties to brace the upper/nose cone so it didn't wiggle and flop around...... I used the upper cowl cap screws and the oil cooler as brace points....... BB liked being bottomless in the summer - pic below is ride ready but I don't think you'll see the black zip ties..... cowls are now back on so I can't take a close up.

It may be the advertised cowl panels are super thin, so it is possible you will want to glue some alloy foil type heat shield material on to possibly protect new paint work from heat damage (?).

Heres a pic of the inside of my 05 cowls showing where I cut away the sound proofing foam to help with airflow - you can see the black leg shields in place down the rear end of the cowls (near where the riders knee/legs would be).

Also, that's what the paint code sticker on the subframe under the seat looks like..... mine is for a Bluebird so the codes are no good to you......

Attachments

Reactions: BoDylan

·
Super Moderator
8,479 Posts
Hmmm
My 2k has the 1/2" heat shield foam all the way down in the area's yours are cut back.
I'd suggest a layer of high density foam layed under that heat shield.
Stack the foam against the plastic first. Then put the heat shield on top of that between it and the engine.

·
Registered
257 Posts
:D..... all good Bees..... I cut the sound deadening foam away several years ago when I had a brain snap of an idea to increase the airflow around the motor in summer. Worked well with the leg shields removed, and I haven't noticed any increase in noise as I didn't cut all of it away - only the bits I thought would allow better airflow. The BB never overheated, but it did like running semi naked in our 32-40C summer traffic, and I think it looks cool in a 'Mad Max' kinda way.... :LOL:.

And some of that noise emission foam squeezes against the coolant hose and engine cases so maybe @BoDylan should add some up where my pics show the contact grooves........

But nothing looks better than this....... :love:

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hmmmm, not a bad idea..Gets rid of a lot of pulling off, putting on time...
I agree, but trying to navigate the Webike site is, errrr, interesting......... and trying to view a decent pic to select the correct carbon weave or 'see' them in plain black is hopeless unless trained to decode Japanese better than google can.

Oh well, they'll be about $350Aus (I think) air freight to Aus for the black, and near $500Au for the plain weave carbon which I think might match my carbon seat cowl, but can't see for sure....... hmmmm do I want to gamble #500 bucks......... :unsure:

I saw other half cowls but again they are probably worth more than the bike these days, so since mine is oem pristine I think I'll leave it until I'm doing a major restoration or :)eek:) crash repair job......... Great idea though - just like I was thinking, but much more professionally made than I could bodgie up out of scrap material.

(y) PS Pity the limited # of buyer comments mentioned poor hole positioning...... that's another risk on a no return made to order item.

Anyone on the forum got a set? Are they trick or trash?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By the way, the fairings fit- okay. Quite tight did take some elbow grease to get all the bolts in and secure but it fits. I did install heat shields on lower right side fairing. Only melt was where the very bottom was touching the 4-2-1 exhaust (obviously) as this was the same on old fairings. Will post pics as soon as front cowl gets painted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts