Honda CBR XX Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

Registered
馃弽Bird 1 - Carb 1998 馃弽Bird 2 - Carb 1998
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi all.
Wishing you all having a great Christmas (if you celebrate) or a good time with family and friends. 馃コ

Made a bit more progress with my old lady Bird1.

Removed all the water pipes.
Not sure who assembled them at which point of her life, but the metal braces were awkwardly positioned. A challenge to remove them.
Also, had to sandpaper gently some of the water intakes because some oxidisation has developed.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Engine is all wet because I was in the process of cleaning it with some engine cleaner and warm water.
With a small hose, I managed to empty the small plastic reservoir and removed all the old fluid.
When doing the same to the radiator, I have found some debris at the bottom. See the picture. It seems that some black paint has been peeling off with time.
Is this a problem?
Should I use regular water and let it run through the radiator to clean/wash out this paint flakes or any other debris?

Automotive tire Green Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar Yellow

Thanks for your help

(y)

Administrator
When doing the same to the radiator, I have found some debris at the bottom. See the picture. It seems that some black paint has been peeling off with time.
Is this a problem?
As long as you run a 50/50 mix of coolant the exposed metal will be safe.
Should I use regular water and let it run through the radiator to clean/wash out this paint flakes or any other debris?
Yes but reverse the flow direction so it'll flush out.

Reactions: super11xx

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Happy new year everyone. 馃コ

The new Samco tubes are in. New 50% ready to use coolant and I am quite sure that there is no air in the system.
Now, the new thermostat is working well.
After idling the engine for some time, the left side tubes get warmer, while the right side ones keep cooler. Keep running and then both side get hot to the same temperature. That tells me that the thermostat did open as expected.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bicycle part Rim

Now, I kept the engine running for longer hopping to test the fan. But to my surprise it does not start.
Even with the temp gauge reaching 60% of travel.

I am quite sure that usually it would kick in much earlier. I am searching the forum for troubleshooting hints for the fan system:
1. Fuse - checked. The 10Amp fuse is good.
2. Jump the Fan sensor located in the left side of the radiator - Checked and the fan works. I assume this means that the thermo switch is the issue and needs replacing???

Registered
Yes it sounds like the thermo switch

OR

Do you have a chinese aluminium radiator fitted ?
Try running a new earth between the thermoswitch housing and the frame/loom earth.
Some people have found that the aluminium does not conduct very well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yes it sounds like the thermo switch

OR

Do you have a chinese aluminium radiator fitted ?
Try running a new earth between the thermoswitch housing and the frame/loom earth.
Some people have found that the aluminium does not conduct very well.
Nope, Original 22 years old factory unit.
Judging by the other Post and the YouTube video explaining the jump test to the thermo switch, I have to conclude that it is the issue for me (when I directly connect the wire to the radiator frame or even the thermo switch metal body, the fan runs happily.
I will order a new thermo switch tomorrow.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ouch... just called a local Honda dealer and the thermo switch is 100 euros (including VAT).
I am wondering if there are OEM quality parts to replace this or I have no option and must stick with the Honda part!?? :sneaky:

(edit)
A quick search and I can find a wide range of prices (from 拢28 in Jaws, to 鈧15 in eBay or even 拢10 in Amazon UK).
Anyone tried successfully a non original Honda thermo switch?

Registered
A thermo switch is a thermo switch.
As long as the temp on it is correct and it screws in properly - I don't see why you NEED a Honda one.
After all - Honda do not make them - they buy them in.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
A thermo switch is a thermo switch.
As long as the temp on it is correct and it screws in properly - I don't see why you NEED a Honda one.
After all - Honda do not make them - they buy them in.
True.
I just ordered the Jaws one. Fair price and despite the shipping can take a bit, it is a safer option than the eBay or Amazon ones.

Thanks CBRDEAN0.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts