Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
馃弽Bird 1 - Carb 1998 馃弽Bird 2 - Carb 1998
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
(did a quick search but only found 2 old topics)

My 98 Bird1 is having heating issues.
While warming up after 3 months without riding, I have noticed radiator liquid dripping on the floor and the temp gauge at the middle of the scale (no fan running at this stage which I found weird).
I assumed I was letting it warm up too much, so I went for my ride.

In the slow roads following cars, the temp gauge kept climbing and climbing and I knew that I had an issue. The fan should be running already at this stage, but it wasn't.

I enter the motorway, climb to 120+ km/h and the temp gauge came down quickly to the normal position (all the way down).
Exit to the small roads and immediately the temperature starts climbing. No fan running at any time so far.
At home, as soon as I stopped there water dripping and I could hear some pressure have build up under the tank/seat while water was being released to the floor.

I checked the water pipes. The radiator was fairly cold and the in/out large water tubes, while the 2 smaller tubes to/from the thermostat and the water pump were peeping hot (I tried to picture that using a later photo I took while stripping out the Bird1).

Questions:
1. can I assume this is a thermostat problem, remove the right side and replace it with a new one (the internal valve)?
2. can I rule out the water pump? Or how could I test it?
3. can I assume that the fan was not kicking in because the temperature sensor is located in the radiator (left side) which was apparently never warming up enough? Not sure how can I test the fan!!

Thanks in advance.

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle Car Gas

Registered
Probably a stuck thermostat. Not difficult to change. Make sure you get a new housing O ring. Do not reuse the old one. There is a drain plug on the water pump. When refilling, make sure to burp all the air bubbles out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Fizzy.
I was a step further and found the drainage screw and emptied the coolant.
Will order the O'ring and thermostat.
Also need to consider to replace most of the rubber pipes as they are dry.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally managed to remove the 3rd bolt (I did not have a cardan piece to allow the 10mm to reach the bolt.
At some point I thought if it would be more practical to remove the thermostat housing completely which would require the O'ring 6.

I am ordering the O'ring (11) and the thermostat (10), but I am not sure what is the 39 in the picture.

Organism Font Diagram Parallel Auto part

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.
I have made some progress and could see that there are 2 different parts (entries in the block).
Thermostat is out, and looks fine. I am ordering it and the O'ring tomorrow. (some pictures below).
There is a small lose piece of metal that I suspect is made to be this way and, not an issue (will compare when the new arrives).

What do you guys suggest? Is the cable in the picture in need of replacing? It seems that the outer protection has wear out a bit but the cable itself seems ok. I think that it is a temperature conductor just? Maybe to the temp gauge?

Camera lens Automotive tire Rim Auto part Camera accessory
Wheel Automotive tire Door Motor vehicle Tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Gas

Administrator
That small piece is an air trap bleed. The power line is also good you could tape up the heat shield to keep it form fraying anymore.

Reactions: super11xx

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thermostat is still available in Honda Iberia for 68 Euros (including the O'ring).
Now, a suggestion from the local mechanic was that the cooling system pipes should all be replaced (because I need to replace number 26 for being seriously cracked). His point is that, all others will have weaker pressure resistance and become the weak link in the system, prone to future failures.

Is there any kit that would include the cooling system pipes?
I heard some of you have changed the water pipes in the past.
As it seems my Bird1 will be stopped for a while, I think that changed them could be wise at this stage.

Font Line Parallel Schematic Auto part

Registered
From memory, the bleed hole in the thermostat is to be oriented in a certain way. Check the manual.

By the way, in your 3rd pic, part # 5, is looking a little crusty where it meets the block. Might have a small leak. As you are in there anyway, might want to change all O-ring gaskets, #6, 11 and 39.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From memory, the bleed hole in the thermostat is to be oriented in a certain way. Check the manual.
Yes, I took notice of that. It should be away from the engine (positioned at 900 hours position).

By the way, in your 3rd pic, part # 5, is looking a little crusty where it meets the block. Might have a small leak. As you are in there anyway, might want to change all O-ring gaskets, #6, 11 and 39.
Yes, I was planning to do a good cleaning on the outside, however if I go to the full replacement of rubber pipes, it might be worth it to, also remove both the intake/exit parts (5 and 12) to make sure all is properly done.

I need to find the torque info now that I think about this.
I am not a mechanic or even close :) but I think I can do most of these things if I understand it correctly and have endless hours to do it carefully.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As you have time, I like cbrpaul's idea of soaking the radiator hoses in wintergreen oil to bring them back to life. He may chime in to give details, or utube. /www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4j7G9ry6uk
Hi Fizzy. The URL took me to the Racing part of the forum :)
Is it really that efficient? It sounds like a miracle if not wizardry, to bring back rubber from a tired life into a new soft flexible state! :)

ah, got it -

Registered
Sorry, missed a few characters on the URL. Fixed that, but it still doesn't quite show up properly. Not sure why?

By the way super, I agree, looks like wizardry. Never actually tried it myself.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I think I found the right set for the 98 Carb model.
I want it in black colour. Does it seems a fair price?
Funny enough, in Black price is 161 while Classic Black is more expensive, over 180...

Font Material property Parallel Logo Brand

Registered
I used the kit from AS3 when I changed to silicone hoses.
being a 98 bike you can use the kit from an FI bike ( the true 1998 carb bikes changed over to an Fi cooling system in everything but the radiator.

They only seem to have the Blue in right now

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
AS3 in black are out of stock.
I wonder if anyone has pictures on the bird with red hoses? I feel that I will regret is I just fit the red ones because availability. :sneaky:

And the Injection model (from 1999) kit seems different with more pipes than the carb version.
Automotive fuel system Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Progress made. Got the Samco silicon hose kit from Racebikebitz with Black Friday discount.
It is the Injected model as suggested by CBRDEAN0.
While the injected model has two more small hoses, my 1998 has 4 large pipes as well.
Now, will search for the thermostat and hopefully fit all by mid December.
Material property Font Auto part Electric blue Symbol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts