Honda CBR XX Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It will be just fine! Change oil and clear out cylinders as advised.
Get the leak sorted but bear in mind that you might still have problem with float cut off valves.
This is a common problem and easily sorted but may take a few attempts.
It is one of the joys of biking and once you have cracked it you have tens of thousands of happy riding miles ahead.
Enjoy!
Considering I've only had my license now for about seven months and I now own Five Bikes. one being a major project bike yeah I think I've caught the riding bug quite seriously.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just replaced the very same part, the PETCOCK COVER SET from Partzilla last week
but more for prevention and also, because I was rebuilding the whole system . Very simple fix.

When the float valves are not closing, go for a rebuild kit, e.g. like this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-Carb-Repair-Kit-For-1997-1998-Honda-CBR1100XX/332819166250
70 bucks, but well spend..

I did this in the last weeks, cleaned and rebuild all 4 carbs.
I would also recommend at least to clean the fuel tank, if not coat it from inside with special chemicals, as I did.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I just replaced the very same part, the PETCOCK COVER SET from Partzilla last week
but more for prevention and also, because I was rebuilding the whole system . Very simple fix.

When the float valves are not closing, go for a rebuild kit, e.g. like this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-Carb-Repair-Kit-For-1997-1998-Honda-CBR1100XX/332819166250
70 bucks, but well spend..

I did this in the last weeks, cleaned and rebuild all 4 carbs.
I would also recommend at least to clean the fuel tank, if not coat it from inside with special chemicals, as I did.
I was very lucky because the person who long terms stored this bike knew what he or she was doing and had emptied the tank and so on so no varnish, no rust in tank or anything like that but then it may very well have been what dried out the petcock diaphragm.

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
Guaranteed it did. It's a 2 edged sword. One side drain but everything dries out. Other side treat but that only lasts so long. Best bet is to store wet and fire it up every couple weeks to full operating temp. Block up rear wheel and run through the gears as gets to full temp.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Guaranteed it did. It's a 2 edged sword. One side drain but everything dries out. Other side treat but that only lasts so long. Best bet is to store wet and fire it up every couple weeks to full operating temp. Block up rear wheel and run through the gears as gets to full temp.
OR you could live somewhere you can ride 365 days a year and it wouldn't matter :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
OR you could live somewhere you can ride 365 days a year and it wouldn't matter :p
Ironically this is the harshest winter we've had in years I was totally looking forward to a nice mild winter so I could ride more "just got my license about 8 months ago" but Noooo!!! and I think this bike was long terms stored not becuase of weather but because it just wasn't being used. although I can't know for sure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just an update. I've fixed the petcock and put Everything back together ran it to warm up with standard oil and filter them drained and filled with semi synthetic... Runs like a champ now but does puff blue smoke when you Rev it. I'm hoping that goes away. Otherwise I'll have to do a compression check... Sigh

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
You go Man!
Found the problem and runs like a banshee,,, my best guess is the old lube will burn off with no smoke afterwards and puts a BIG grin on your face because she is running fine.
I would just go out and run the snot out of her to see how she holds up. If smoke continues I have seen motors on e-bay for $800
Time will tell.

STex, out

Oh! and welcome to our new type of Winters.:)

·
Registered
524 Posts
You go Man!
Found the problem and runs like a banshee,,, my best guess is the old lube will burn off with no smoke afterwards and puts a BIG grin on your face because she is running fine.
I would just go out and run the snot out of her to see how she holds up. If smoke continues I have seen motors on e-bay for $800
Time will tell.

STex, out

Oh! and welcome to our new type of Winters.:)
AKA "an Italian tune up"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You go Man!
Time will tell.

STex, out

Oh! and welcome to our new type of Winters.

Yeah... Running the snot out of her alright. But I also just picked up a 2017 CBR 1000rr and have been putting the break in miles on her. Yes I'll admit I have a problem, lol. But hey this is inheritance money and...

To get a little personal, this new lifestyle choice also stems from the fact that I'm recovering from a pretty nasty opiate addiction. " you can't really ride a bike when you're all messed up on heroin..." so this money is being spent on a new addiction a better addiction I must say... Ok personal mode off, sorry for the interruption. But the more I talk about it the less power it has...

The 1000rr and the 1100xx have very similar power levels but one is a wicked fast barcolounger and the other is just wicked fast, hehe. I can't put too words how awesome this hobby and the people in it have been.

Oh and Beauty also has a full Yoshimura exhaust and we don't think it's been tuned some of the guys at my dealer think the blues are from that, I'll check the carbs for dynojet parts the next chance I get. So far my CBR 600 and my vfr750f both need dynojet kits the vfr kit has been purchased but not installed yet, just got the exhaust put on. Oh and did I mention tinkering on bikes is the most awesome thing also!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hrrm. My Sincere apologies. I guess I went to personal. Ok Won't happen again. On a side note. "Beauty" is running so beautifully now it's not even funny. No more puffing of the blues and I just got back from a ride where I went and did a full throttle run in Second gear. No Issues at all Woot!!! Woot!!!

Thank you again all of you. This place has been amazingly helpful.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Take pictures with your camera when you disassemble the carbs at every step, and lay the parts out in order - take lots of pictures (they don't cost anything)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
To get a little personal, this new lifestyle choice also stems from the fact that I'm recovering from a pretty nasty opiate addiction. " you can't really ride a bike when you're all messed up on heroin..." so this money is being spent on a new addiction a better addiction I must say... Ok personal mode off, sorry for the interruption. But the more I talk about it the less power it has...
All good mate we are here to help with the Bird addiction but can appreciate that some other addictions are much more sinister and debilitating :(

Hrrm. My Sincere apologies. I guess I went to personal. Ok Won't happen again.
Don't be sorry mate, I work as a prison officer for a job and what a lot don't seem to grasp is that the biggest step that needs to be taken is admitting to yourself and others that you do indeed have a problem AND that you seriously want to fix it and then take those steps :clap:

I was involved in a pretty gruesome death in custody ~10 years back and I talk and joke about it regularly which some people even close colleagues find a bit strange but hey that is how I deal with it and keep the demons in check so to speak :hmm:

Of ~8 others that were involved there are just 2 of us left working at the prison and only 2 others still in the corrections industry because it can be very stressful even without something like a DiC ;) I see some colleagues that use alcohol as a way to take the edge off but that can have it's own problems as well :crap:

On a lighter note you have a nice collection there and your new "addiction" is much more healthy for you as long as you keep it check :thumb:

21 - 34 of 34 Posts