Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just starting on a new project I picked up. Back story, bike sat for 6 months at my buddies. Not touched, exposed to the elements so on. Convinced him to sell it to me, dont mind having a project when it's a cool project. Got the bike to start and it wasnt as bad as I thought. Of course i checked fluid and added some oil before trying to start it. How ever it does not wanna stay running on it's own. With the throttle being sticky i can force the bike to stay running but the second i try to close the throttle back to resting the bike stalls. Being a project I know its gonna need some TLC but I'm not one to aim in the dark at problems, any advice on where to start. I messed with the idle control and it helped it to not stall as quickly but it still would stall. (In neutral and in gear)

·
Registered
354 Posts
im guessing that the carbs are blocked up and the slides are sticking
dont fore the mechanism or you will break a linkage
you need to take out the carbs , strip them down fully and send for ultrasound ( metal bits ) for the plastic and rubber bits they need cleaning with thinners and possibly some seal softener for the rubber bits
i did this a few months ago on a stroed for 10 years bike and got it to run well
if the pilot jets are gummed up the will be near impossible to get clean
in this case they can be replaced by new jets they are quite cheap in the usa
jets r us is a guy is used
keep posted

·
Registered
548 Posts
Perhaps drain the old petrol and add some fresh with a hefty dose of seafoam in it, set the bike up on the center stand and let it idle at 1500 rpm or so for a while until the new seafoamy ..lol fuel is inside the carbs and able to do it' work then let it set up for a few days to disolve whatever may be in there.
MY suggestion is because stripping the carbs etc is not a task for everyone and I have no idea your skill level or time available.
Screw on left side by your knee will allow you to adjust idle up so that it won't die on you right away, if you can baby sit it while running and it is not too hot out let it run a bit longer and see what happens, keep an eye on the temp gauge and if needed throw a box fan in front of it blowing across the radiator.
CHeers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im guessing that the carbs are blocked up and the slides are sticking
dont fore the mechanism or you will break a linkage
you need to take out the carbs , strip them down fully and send for ultrasound ( metal bits ) for the plastic and rubber bits they need cleaning with thinners and possibly some seal softener for the rubber bits
i did this a few months ago on a stroed for 10 years bike and got it to run well
if the pilot jets are gummed up the will be near impossible to get clean
in this case they can be replaced by new jets they are quite cheap in the usa
jets r us is a guy is used
keep posted
The bike is missing the center stand.pulled the old gas out using fluid evacuator as well. also figured out the other day that it's missing on one cylinder. The cylinder on the the right (either 1 or 4) isnt firing and I tried playing with the idle adjustment to see if I could get it to idle on it's own and it still doesnt want to. I'm not home so I cant look at it now, but because the throttle is still a little sticky (moves easily just dosnt return to idle) I can leave the throttle at what ever engine speed. Downside is a dont have a tachometer so it's all by ear at this point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps drain the old petrol and add some fresh with a hefty dose of seafoam in it, set the bike up on the center stand and let it idle at 1500 rpm or so for a while until the new seafoamy ..lol fuel is inside the carbs and able to do it' work then let it set up for a few days to disolve whatever may be in there.
MY suggestion is because stripping the carbs etc is not a task for everyone and I have no idea your skill level or time available.
Screw on left side by your knee will allow you to adjust idle up so that it won't die on you right away, if you can baby sit it while running and it is not too hot out let it run a bit longer and see what happens, keep an eye on the temp gauge and if needed throw a box fan in front of it blowing across the radiator.
CHeers
The bike is missing the center stand.pulled the old gas out using fluid evacuator as well. also figured out the other day that it's missing on one cylinder. The cylinder on the the right (either 1 or 4) isnt firing and I tried playing with the idle adjustment to see if I could get it to idle on it's own and it still doesnt want to. I'm not home so I cant look at it now, but because the throttle is still a little sticky (moves easily just dosnt return to idle) I can leave the throttle at what ever engine speed. Downside is a dont have a tachometer so it's all by ear at this point.

·
Registered
354 Posts
the butterflies are probably stuck , very common if left to rot for a long time
a non return throttle is not very safe....

·
Registered
149 Posts
G'day Betty or Not......

You could also try lubing the throttle cable and spraying some onto the butterfly shafts while the carbs are still attached - this might help free up any mechanical friction.

But,.....old fuel has a habit of evaporating in the float bowls, leaving a layer of gum that looks like varnish...... so the best way is to clean those carbs carefully, laying out all the bits as they come off in order (so they go back on in order)...... the jets will be different sizes (inner to outer) so don't get them mixed up. Make sure the little rubber tipped 'needles' on the floats are clean and still spring etc...... check the vacuum seals attached to the slides are not holed. Best to use an extra long cross tip screw driver on delicate cross tip screws - the longer shaft helps crack open stubborn soft headed screws/jets without damaging the screw/jet head....

Do you know why it was parked and left?...... If there was a problem back then, it will still have that problem now as well as the sticky throttle/carbs.

(y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
G'day Betty or Not......

You could also try lubing the throttle cable and spraying some onto the butterfly shafts while the carbs are still attached - this might help free up any mechanical friction.

But,.....old fuel has a habit of evaporating in the float bowls, leaving a layer of gum that looks like varnish...... so the best way is to clean those carbs carefully, laying out all the bits as they come off in order (so they go back on in order)...... the jets will be different sizes (inner to outer) so don't get them mixed up. Make sure the little rubber tipped 'needles' on the floats are clean and still spring etc...... check the vacuum seals attached to the slides are not holed. Best to use an extra long cross tip screw driver on delicate cross tip screws - the longer shaft helps crack open stubborn soft headed screws/jets without damaging the screw/jet head....

Do you know why it was parked and left?...... If there was a problem back then, it will still have that problem now as well as the sticky throttle/carbs.

(y)
As far as I know the only issue before it was parked was one of the crank cases was cracked. But it ran just lost oil. It didnt sit solely because of that though. Most of the problems with the bike are all cosmetic. When my buddy picked up the bike originally the dude he got it from was riding it on a weekly basis. Always had spare oil. The other main issue is the lights on the bike. For whatever reason the previous owner (before me or my buddy) decided to cut all the wires to the lights the only lights that still work are the 4 dtr lights. Rear tail light as well as all the turn signals are missing and all corresponding wires cut. The main headlight bulb is busted, so I'm gonna get a new one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts