Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was heading home from work and everything was running normal. I was driving at hwy speed and the motor died suddenly. I tried to restart while coasting but no luck. I pulled over and tried some more, still no luck. Please help? It didn't sputter or act like it was running out of fuel. It just stopped firing instantly. My first thought is the fuel pump however, I don't have much experience with them. Let me know if anyone has any ideas that may help. Thank you

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,073 Posts
I have hit my kill switch and didn't think to check it for a bit. Kill switch in on position? Do you still have lights or power to your dash? Head light or running lights working? Turn signals working?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: akentak

·
Registered
8 Posts
To my knowledge, pumps don't die while the motor is running, except if it happened to get clogged with rust right at that point. Can you hear the pump prime when you turn the key?

·
Registered
873 Posts
97 is a carby. No fuel pump. As you had enough power to run starter, then I assume there is enough power to run motor. Check all fuses, make sure carbs have fuel and check for spark. Then we will know which way to proceed.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Any work done on the bike recently?

Fizzy is correct, no fuel pump to go bad. Unusual for an XX, especially a carbed model, to simply stop running out of the blue. Are you out of gas?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Agree with the above, check the easiest and obvious first, kill switch and fuel. These often get overlooked.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes there is adequate power. I was driving the BB around 65-70mph and then suddenly the motor stopped running and wouldn't restart. It turns over but will not fire. It has just been started 10 mins before this happened. The first thing I checked was the kill switch and the gas tank is full. I will check all fuses and get back

·
Registered
8 Posts
97 is a carby. No fuel pump.
CDI, then? I had an issue like that with my Africa Twin (XRV RD07a). That was a carby, but had a pump, gravity feeding wasn't enough. From time to time you had to open the pump and clean the pads, or replace it with a daewoo pump :cry:. I also used a Piaggio Beverly CDI :ROFLMAO:. That's why I jumped to the conclusion.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What did the bike do after you coasted to a stop, and when you tried to restart it? Turn over without starting or nothing at all? My 97 did the same exact thing when the R/R gave out while riding. Tachometer quit working and bike needed more rpm in order to not die. Have you ever replaced it at all? What about your battery? How old is it? Condition?

·
CBRXX93
58 Posts
I was heading home from work and everything was running normal. I was driving at hwy speed and the motor died suddenly. I tried to restart while coasting but no luck. I pulled over and tried some more, still no luck. Please help? It didn't sputter or act like it was running out of fuel. It just stopped firing instantly. My first thought is the fuel pump however, I don't have much experience with them. Let me know if anyone has any ideas that may help. Thank you
Could be your stator. Had the exact same thing happen. If it is, Ricks Stators is great. Half the price of OEM.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for all the ideas! My bike has already had all the upgrades. The entire charging system has already been replaced in the last year. Everything including new wires. The vacuum line coming off the petcock may be the nail on the head. It died suddenly and wouldn't restart for anything. I had a new petcock and filter replaced and n the last year

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hopefully it's just the hose off the petcock. Sure would be nice if it's just something simple. It is possible for the wires of an aftermarket stator to get pinched inside the cover. Ask me how I know.. Yeah let us know what you find out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts