Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I’m looking at a 2003 Bird with 76k on the clock. The owner has had it 11 years. The engine sounds sweet as a nut, no smoke starts on the button.

He’d take £2k, bargain or trouble ahead with that mileage? The bike looks clean and tidy etc. It’s never had the valves done or the rear shock and fork oil changed. It has been serviced by the owner, he’s done 60k in it over the last 11 years but now has bought a bike with a more upright position.
Do I walk away and spend £3k for one with less miles but an older bike? Does the 2003 model have a CAT?
Thoughts on the above would be appreciated.

Thanks
Neil

·
Registered
361 Posts
You pay your money and take the chance.
If you bought one from a dealer you might get a month or 500 mile warranty.

2003 model will be an injection model, the CATs are in the first/thinner section of the silencers.

Check the MOTs over the years for advisories, wear on tyres, brake pads, chain and sprockets.
Check the radiator core/fins. They corrode and raise the running temperature. My 06 got it's third radiator this year.
Have the plugs and air filter been changed, or are his services just oil and filter?

The mileage wouldn't be a worry, my 06 has done 63k and the engine is fine although I am intending checking the valve clearances. In my experience, valve clearances get tighter, so your not going to get a rattle.
It's common to get a rattle from the clutch on tick-over, goes away when the clutch is pulled in.

Cam chain tensioners can wear, easily fixed.
Fuel pressure regulators can fail.
Regulator/rectifiers and stators seem common failures.

The fork oil will need changed and the rear shock will be getting tired.
Check the chrome fork stanchions for pitting.

I service my own bikes, never had a problem with the charging.
I have changed the tensioner and FPR at 50k, not that they failed, just maintenance.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
These machines can run up silly mileages with just basic maintenance. Check bodywork, running battery voltage (nothing over 14.5V), operation of the linked brakes, no FI (fuel injection) lights showing, etc.
PS: you may want to peruse a bike for sale, just popped up on this site, looks interesting, see the for sale section.

edit; + what punts says above.

·
Administrator
9,296 Posts
Well got 211,000 miles on mine with original shims. If he taken as good care of it as it sounds it'll be well worth it. You know it's history.

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,660 Posts
I woyld be factoring in an amount for refurbishment. A good service for shims. The fork oil definitely. If he hasnt done fork oil then what about brake and clutch fluid. He might have done hisown services i wouldbe a little concerned if forkoil wasnt included.
P

1 - 5 of 5 Posts