Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yesterday was one of those days when you wish you'd just stayed in bed.

Had 2 brand new tyres fitted and balanced and was looking forward to a scrubbing in session. Instead, the bike died if I used any electrics. The dash would light up as usual but when I used the front brake, indicator or lights (seemingly anything that needed power), the dash would just go dark, bike would die like I'd turned off the ignition. After rummaging for a lose connection (I couldn't see what else he could have disturbed by putting new tyres on but..) the dash would stop lighting up all together, totally dead. The battery is fine though, the alarm would still happily flash the indicators to arm/disarm and shriek when I tried to take the rear panel off, guessing there's a micro switch in there?.

Of course I didn't have my good tools with me, just my baby kit and was wearing my summer mesh jacket. Boy did it rain.

All fuses are fine.
All accessories were unplugged. Heated grips, voltmeter, usb sockets.
Alarm works fine, arm, disarm etc.
Battery is ok.

So throwing it out there, any ideas?

I'm making a list of things to try from search results on this site (homework).

Disconnect the reg/rec and try again. If no change disconnect the stator, try again.
Try the spare key (HISS) and spare fob.

Is there anything you can add to my list?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Aftermarket equipment is the first thing to go when diagnosing electric gremlins. What year is your bird ? Also, don't get hung up on the tire install. I see these coincidences quite often with car repair.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MMmmmm... Curious. Not an electrical guy but does your pump spool up when you turn the key to the on position?
Not sure, was hard to hear in the rain but I don't think so, it seemed like every electrical circuit was dead. Except the alarm still worked.

All fuses look fine too.

I was/am baffled, not had anything like this in 30 years of riding.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Stupid question... Did you have these problems once the alarm was installed? Had some wierd electrical problems when I installed an alarm system on my ol' CBR1000F. Once removed everything went back to normal.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stupid question... Did you have these problems once the alarm was installed? Had some wierd electrical problems when I installed an alarm system on my ol' CBR1000F. Once removed everything went back to normal.
No such thing as a stupid question when it comes to electricals!!

This alarm was on it when I bought it, it's hard to make out the date on the fitting paperwork but looks like 2006.

Not sure how long I've had the Bird now but until yesterday, it's been faultless. Handles lovely now with new tyres, for all of 12 feet.

In doing some research on S4's, I think one of my Triumphs has a bypass plug fitted. I remember seeing it and wondering what it was, didn't investigate further because everything wqas working and I didn't want to let any smoke out or upset the electric fairies.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aftermarket equipment is the first thing to go when diagnosing electric gremlins. What year is your bird ? Also, don't get hung up on the tire install. I see these coincidences quite often with car repair.
Was thinking along the same lines last night. I disconnected my heated grips, volt meter and auxiliary USB sockets. No change.

I'm starting to think maybe he dropped the workbench down quickly and it's jiggled something.
Also found out that there is a recall on these alarms, have messaged Datatool to see if mine is one of the ones affected.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Get one of the bypass dongles and just isolate the alarm to see if it is the culprit. My shop lent me one at first. I found it well worth having my own so later bought one on fleaBay. Whenever I'm fault ginding being able to rule out the alarl is priceless.

Fyi the alarm prob I had would trigger the immobilizer function. Not great having everything go dead mid journey as I'm sure have experienced!

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Get one of the bypass dongles and just isolate the alarm to see if it is the culprit. My shop lent me one at first. I found it well worth having my own so later bought one on fleaBay. Whenever I'm fault ginding being able to rule out the alarl is priceless.

Fyi the alarm prob I had would trigger the immobilizer function. Not great having everything go dead mid journey as I'm sure have experienced!
Maybe that's what the alarm was doing? With this one all the dash lights would be on and then as soon as I hit the break or put an indicator on, the dash goes completely dark, just as if you'd switched it off with the key. Was that what yours did?
Deffo leaning toward the alarm, it's an S4 Datatool but knowing my luck it won't be covered by the recall. I think, if nothing else shows up in the mean time, I'm just going to remove the alarm completely. I don't think I've ever had one on a bike before because it was just another point of failure. I'll go into the loom and remove it, I know I could leave the wiring if I used one of the bypass doodad, but I'll be happier knowing it was all gone.

Would it be worth doing a short video in case this helps anyone in the future, thoughts?

·
Registered
348 Posts
You could video the process and keep it.
Send it to any member if they needed it, I would'nt post it for the world to see!!

Having said that, £25 buys a plug that can by-pass the alarm anyway.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You could video the process and keep it.
Send it to any member if they needed it, I would'nt post it for the world to see!!

Having said that, £25 buys a plug that can by-pass the alarm anyway.
I meant a quick video to show the problem, I agree that posting a video showing thieves how to remove an alarm, probably isn't a good idea.
Ok, back to it.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick update.

The battery is fine.
The RegRec is fine. Tried starting with it disconnected and connected, no joy.
The Stator is fine. Tried starting with it disconnected and connected, no joy.
Used the spare remote, it's fine.
Used the spare key in case it's a HISS thing, it's fine. I didn't expect it to do anything as the HISS just stops the fuel pump from running, wouldn't blank out the dash.

On my installation, there are no plugs that I can unplug the alarm and plug in a bypass thing you find on eBay. The wiring comes out of the
unit into a small box and then straight into the loom. Separate twin lead for power to the fuse box and another twin lead going to the rear light where the LED is fitted.
In the loom there is a black with white tracer and silver dots wire that looks like it was cut and then each end connected to the alarm. Have bridged that. Just need to
find any other cut wires, the rest just piggy back onto loom wires.

It looks like my alarm is a few years before the batch that were recalled, classic, so no luck there.

Ordered a new main battery, won't change anything but I know it's done.

Next I'm going to take all the bodywork off and look at the key wiring and basically go through the loom at the front.

·
Administrator
9,219 Posts
Heads up black wire with a white tracer is a POWER wire for Honda's. I'd see where that wire goes in the loom.

Reactions: Big-Bird

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Heads up black wire with a white tracer is a POWER wire for Honda's. I'd see where that wire goes in the loom.
Excellent, yes I've been scouring wiring diagrams and I think that wire goes to the STOP/START switch? It looks like it is the only wire that's been cut so that would be where the alarm kills the engine, I'm guessing.

Do you know anyone who could tell a Blackbird CDI from a VFR CDI? I have a spare here but can't remember where or which bike I got it for. I'm just wondering whether to swop the ECU in case that's the issue.

·
Administrator
9,219 Posts
Post up the I'd label and we'll see if we can figure it out

Reactions: Big-Bird

·
Registered
2007 CBR1100XX
3 Posts
Was thinking along the same lines last night. I disconnected my heated grips, volt meter and auxiliary USB sockets. No change.

I'm starting to think maybe he dropped the workbench down quickly and it's jiggled something.
Also found out that there is a recall on these alarms, have messaged Datatool to see if mine is one of the ones affected.
Hi - Ash here from Northumberland- new to this forum but have owned Blackbirds since they first came out in ‘96. Your reported electric issues definitely point towards the alarm. Same symptoms on my 2007 model which had a Meta alarm fitted from new. Bike running/ starting fine then all a sudden nothing on the ignition start up.
Like you, went through a method of elimination and the probable cause had to be the cutoff side on the alarm system. Then heard that Meta alarms, and probably a lot of other makes, have an internal “life time” battery built in. The “life time” actual means between 10 - 15yrs and once they expire the alarm is DEAD. My bike is obviously 14yrs old. The internal battery can’t be replaced. I did a quick bypass on the alarm loom connector ( Meta alarm bypass- YouTube) and the bike started up perfectly. Worth considering?

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Ash

1st post and already rolling up your sleeves to help, top man.

Absolutely worth considering, think the alarm was fitted in 2006 and if it was new then that makes it 15 years old, you could be onto something.

I'm completely removing the Datatool alarm. I'll rely on physical security and the HISS system from now on. Not the alarms fault, but while waiting in roadwork traffic, I've switched off the bike and then got caught out when my light changed. Made a hash of getting the timing right on the alarm and been left red faced at the front of a queue with the bike immobilised and blaring away, completely dead!
It did go off at 03:00 about a week ago, nothing on the camera apart from lights going on at the neighbour's.

·
Registered
2007 CBR1100XX
3 Posts
Hi Ash

1st post and already rolling up your sleeves to help, top man.

Absolutely worth considering, think the alarm was fitted in 2006 and if it was new then that makes it 15 years old, you could be onto something.

I'm completely removing the Datatool alarm. I'll rely on physical security and the HISS system from now on. Not the alarms fault, but while waiting in roadwork traffic, I've switched off the bike and then got caught out when my light changed. Made a hash of getting the timing right on the alarm and been left red faced at the front of a queue with the bike immobilised and blaring away, completely dead!
It did go off at 03:00 about a week ago, nothing on the camera apart from lights going on at the neighbour's.
I rely solely on physical security now too - the alarm was great while it worked for many years but it’s ground anchors and double disc locks- a pain each time to remove them all but the Hiss gives some engine imobilisation . I’ve got a basic pay as you go tracker hidden on the bike so if it does go walkabouts at least l can pop round and kindly ask for my bike back ☠🥊🚑 ⚰

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I rely solely on physical security now too - the alarm was great while it worked for many years but it’s ground anchors and double disc locks- a pain each time to remove them all but the Hiss gives some engine imobilisation . I’ve got a basic pay as you go tracker hidden on the bike so if it does go walkabouts at least l can pop round and kindly ask for my bike back ☠🥊🚑 ⚰
That's something to think about, have you got a link to the tracker website? I ask because I looked into it a while ago and wasn't getting many positive reviews on the cheapo Chinese units.

·
Registered
2007 CBR1100XX
3 Posts
That's something to think about, have you got a link to the tracker website? I ask because I looked into it a while ago and wasn't getting many positive reviews on the cheapo Chinese units.
It’s a company called EyeTech Surveillance- based at Derby. I got a Sim only device which l used on a quad bike, stored in the middle of no where, for many years. It still works fine - you simply buy credits and use as and when . Gives 4hr updates which are adjustable to your own requirements and the mapping App is compatible with most Smart /Android phones & laptops . You can set a Geo-fence around your home/garage so if it does move you get an immediate text and can then view it live time if required.
There are loads of very cheap units out there but like most things - you get eventually what you pay for. Some insurance companies give an extra 10% discount too (mine does)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts