1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
586 Posts
well i just bought a 99 efi with 18000 km for 1800 eur , need to fix the farings and clean it up though

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i just bought a 99 efi with 18000 km for 1800 eur , need to fix the farings and clean it up though
Apparently this one was sitting in a bike shop as a display for 20 years . I’m passing cause with shipping, new tires etc... it’s more than I want to spend.

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
20 years parked possibility for that entire time. No thanks that's gonna be a handful unless it's been fired up and ran to temp and cycled through the gears at least once a month.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yep I agree a whole bag of trouble awaiting the new owner, such as dried and cracked valve stem seals.
Low mileage birds should be viewed with suspicion , some may have been started regulary and taken for short trips but then whats the point ? Far better off looking for decent miles, say. 25k + with full service history.
Just my 'apeth .

·
Registered
381 Posts
I bought my 97 titanium for the equivalent of USD2200 just over 2 years ago. It had a little over 5000km on then. Now sitting around 6400km.

The bike had been shipped into the country but was abandoned in a shipping container for years. Eventually the owner was tracked down, container was opened and the bike "discovered". The shipping agent decided he wanted to keep it. Sent it to Honda, who charged him a princely sum to do not much. The bike was misfiring when I looked at it. Needed much cosmetic work but was very original. Even had the original Macadam tyres still on! And I rode it home from his house like that!

The bike is now super smooth. Still needs a few bits here and there and has a small oil leak but I'm pretty happy with her. Sadly she just sits in the garage mostly as I'm not sure if I should put mileage on our keep it low. Silly I guess, these things are not meant to sit around.

Sent from my LM-G810 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
No they aren't!!!!!!

Reactions: Nato

·
Registered
157 Posts
Do we reckon that BB will become a collectors item? There was some chatter about the early carbed birds being collectable. Not the others though. I have always thought they would be, but I'm biased 😂.Certainly that would be the only reason not to put too many miles on one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought my 97 titanium for the equivalent of USD2200 just over 2 years ago. It had a little over 5000km on then. Now sitting around 6400km.

The bike had been shipped into the country but was abandoned in a shipping container for years. Eventually the owner was tracked down, container was opened and the bike "discovered". The shipping agent decided he wanted to keep it. Sent it to Honda, who charged him a princely sum to do not much. The bike was misfiring when I looked at it. Needed much cosmetic work but was very original. Even had the original Macadam tyres still on! And I rode it home from his house like that!

The bike is now super smooth. Still needs a few bits here and there and has a small oil leak but I'm pretty happy with her. Sadly she just sits in the garage mostly as I'm not sure if I should put mileage on our keep it low. Silly I guess, these things are not meant to sit around.

Well, the bird herself talks to you about riding. You can see her crying in spring time when you are sitting and talking with your lady or busy at your desk. Calling out to you she promises a smooth gluide and the feeling of raw power as you experience the sense of being "one" with her and flying through the forest areas, leaning down in the turns low enough that your boots are dragging and you feel your soul again. How in the world could you have any problems whatsoever in making a decision about riding the girl?? I don't understand.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Well, the bird herself talks to you about riding. You can see her crying in spring time when you are sitting and talking with your lady or busy at your desk. Calling out to you she promises a smooth gluide and the feeling of raw power as you experience the sense of being "one" with her and flying through the forest areas, leaning down in the turns low enough that your boots are dragging and you feel your soul again. How in the world could you have any problems whatsoever in making a decision about riding the girl?? I don't understand.
Cool description.
Put it down to sentiment. This one is too special for an ordinary ride. So on that occasion you describe, yes. For the rest, I will ride the black blackbird and my other bikes :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts