Honda CBR XX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Thanks Dave I didn't know about the switcharoo the top has never worked because it was missing the socket the bulb plugs into. I have one on order. You da man tho!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks Dave ...... You da man tho!
Awwww shucks, my head has swollen so I hafta go buy a bigger size helmet now....... :LOL:

(y)

Reactions: BoDylan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I was having some clutch slippage a while back under heavy acceleration. I flushed the clutch hydros and that solved 75% of the problem, figuring the slave was gunked up so I ordered a new slave gasket from Honda and a rebuild kit from k&l - came with new spring, large rubber for inside slave, small rubber that push rod fits to, and bleeder valve rubber. I got it all cleaned and reassembled and noticed a small leak after test ride(which went fine, clutch feels great) the small rubber came out of the hole in the cylinder and was around the push rod. I figured i had it it backwards but could never get it to stay securely. I figured pressure from the cylinder to pushrod would seat it. When i got home last night after a short ride i noticed a small pool of brake fluid under the slave, looks like its coming out of the 80mm bolt (left bottom on slave) also i couldnt seperate anything on the new gasket between slave and sprocket cover so its just sitting on there. One side green other side paper.... What am i doing wrong? Bike is running great slippage is all gone.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sorry for the double post i was trying to delete the new one unsuccessfully

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I fitted the small gasket that the push rods fits into correctly....bonehesd move on my part. Now when i got back there is a damn oil leak coming from the front sprocket cover!!!! What is going on i didn't do anything to cause an oil leak. It was quite a few drops but it stopped a few min after shutting off the bike. Very confused.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
After taking the bike for another ride the oil leak is pretty steady while riding. A drop every 5 seconds or so. Definitely coming from front sprocket cover area. I dont have time to take it all off again but any ideas? What could I possibly have done while fixing the clutch slave? I pulled the push rod out and gave it a cleaning. The bike is running 100% now absolutely no clutch slip. I also took out that k&n air filter and replaced with OEM and definitely tell a good difference. Please help guys where y'all at ??

·
Registered
739 Posts
Are you sure its not clutch fluid? Or an overactive chain oiler?
There are also some small overflow tubes in that exit in that area.
Also could be a coolant leak, the thermostat housing can weep and drain across the block and down the LHS.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Its definitely oil. And continuous while the bike is running . Definitely did not have this problem before I rebuilt the slave. Damn thing is getting oil all over my rear tire. I did overtighten the bottom left bolt on one reinstall of the slave( there were several) and it made a pop noise kind of. No way that could have caused this eh? It went back out and in fine and i didnt overtighten again.

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
You'll need to check the cover. Pop on castings isn't a good sound. Typically means it cracked. If it's soaking the rear tire park it. If you get it leaned over on that a popped case is going to be the least of your concerns.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I cant park it bro its my only ride. I will take a video of leak ASAP. Wouldn't it drip constantly if i cracked something? It only drips while running and for a few min after.

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
It may only open up when it's warmed up. As long as you keep an eye on the oil level and keep it ar the proper level you should be safe. But again if it's slinging back onto the rear tire. Your taking a huge risk. If that gets between you and the road your going to drop it faster than you'll even have a chance to realize it. Then if your lucky you'll be able to assess the damage done. Or you'll be pushing up daisies somewhere very quiet and serene

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
The cover the slave is mounted too. A couple of those bolts go through that cover to the main case. If your careful and take it back apart. You may be able to RTV ot as a temporary fix. I'd also check the pushrod seal that's about the only place I can think of that would let you sling engine oil. With it mounted correctly you should have a smooth surface rubber cap from the case to the center hole the pushrod passes through.
It should also set flush with the edge of the case boss it sets inside of.

·
Registered
293 Posts
G'day Bo,

Also check the seal on the push rod...... but as Bees said..... a popping noise and alloy casings sounds like something has cracked. there may be a way to apply some devcon (?) or other alloy repair to a crack, if it is accessible.......

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Gotcha that cover. The push rod seal you're talking about is on the right side of bike? Or still accessed from behind the slave/sprocket cover? Sorry man I know little about engines. Obviously 🤦

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
Yes it'll be behind the sprocket cover. FYI in the future those bolts only require 7 ft# of torque. Also make sure that both of the surfaces are good and clean. Unfortunately that area will pick up a lot of road grit. So it's very easy to get a small bit of debris in between them and pop the chover trying to reinstall it.
I can hear that pop now. As I suspect Dave can confirm as well, and it's a shitty sound. So not being familiar with engines you were spared that feeling of oh shit. You just got the aftermath of it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Yeah i was in my Moto. Maint. Class at the local community college. I was only one who had brought a bike so the whole class was watching me. I had just taken the slave BACK off because brake fluid was leaking out everywhere after 1st install. I reversed the big rubber on cylinder and was just feeling pressured to get it right....hence the over tightening. I knew that pop couldnt have been good but i tried to play it off. Hopefully its the damn push rod seal. I'll get in there tomorrow and clean everything real good....figure out whats going on.

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
Most likely is and you might have it in there a bit crooked.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Is the push rod supposed to have any grease on the ends? I saw someone in a video put it on but mine was dry.
Also....can i run the bike with sprocket cover off?

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
It's not neccessary. The counter shaft end usually catches chain lube. And the clutch basket side is inside engine up against an oil bath clutch pak

Reactions: BoDylan
21 - 40 of 55 Posts