Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please PM if interested....... my name is Dave and I'm 63yrs young. Been riding since I was 17yo......

1 owner from new (Aug 2005). All service receipts. Never had any Reg/Rect issues. K&N washable airfilter. New oil & filter, plugs, coolant, brake & clutch fluid. Valve clearances checked at cam chain & tensioner install (114k kms). Tyres, pads, suspension all A1 as I have been preparing it to ride again after a horror 3 year period in which I endured heart bypass surgery (2018) and total hip replacement surgery (2020).

I was expecting to be able to resume riding it by now (hence the fluids & plugs service), but after 5 months recovery my left hip / leg is still too slow / stiff to retract up onto the peg, and the reach to the Heli-bars has mysteriously become more than I remember.

Not to fret though, I fit onto my 1290SDGT as it is not a snug semi racer crouch like my beloved Super Blackbird.

I can no longer justify the annual registration and insurances on a 3rd vehicle I can't ride - no matter how beautiful. So this bike, with well over 100k kms of trouble free life left to enjoy, deserves to be ridden, not parked in my garage gathering dust and only being run up to full temp monthly.

Check out the CBRXX forum and see just how far these things go before they need any engine work...... it's true...... way over 200,000kms with just regular maintenance!

My ODO has 128,850 kms (genuine). This BB has never been abused or neglected (otherwise the cam chain would not have lasted until 114k kms), and it still looks like a new bike. A new chain & sprockets, water pump, tyres & fork oil were installed at 120k kms. It was my long range tourer, and I have a Givi Wing rack II, and a Givi Monokey rack, that can go with the bike.

I intend to sell my Ohlins HO639 shock and HD fork springs separately so I have installed the oem Showa shock & fork springs (which have done only 13k kms). I recommend them for two up touring so twist my arm if interested.

Please don't be put off by the mileage - the BB has been serviced every 6k kms with Motul 5100 10w50, plugs changed per specs, valve clearances checked per specs, bearings greased with tyre changes, coolant every 3yrs, brake fluids every 2yrs, and it consumes zero oil. There's so much more to mention but this post has become a monster............ I can honestly state it is 100% ready to ride, nothing to do, except make it your pride and joy.

PS - As part of this months prep for me to resume riding the Bird, I checked for, and found some moderate surface rust up under the roof of the fuel tank (normally out of sight), so I acid cleaned, treated, and sealed the tank for a permanent fix. A new ($100) oem fuel filter, new fuel pump gasket & fuel sender 'O' ring were installed. I confirmed the vital internal tank venting system was working (plugged it during the treatment) and I'm very pleased with the outcome - the fuel tank will never rust again!

Here are some recent pics telling more of the story of this still new looking 15yo machine :-

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
:D........ 18 years ago I had a 2002........ all Black Bird....... didn't realize how well engineered they were and I traded it in on the current 2005 I am selling........ but even then I put 54,000kms on the 02 Bird........ and I wish I looked as good now as I thought I did back then.

The extra pic of the 05 is just so you can click on to enlarge........ it won't enlarge in the main text area.

I just spotted a pic in my file of the last time I rode my 05BB ....... that was way back in Feb 2018....... took it for a short spin around our local foreshore...... all of about 30mins..... sad but true :cry:..... then the fun started in March, and here I am now, admitting defeat :(.

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok, so I woke up this morning thinking I had better have a go at test riding my handy work, proving the brakes/cooling system/fuel tank vent all work as they should...... regardless of whether or not I sell the bike.

Yesterday I managed to flick my left foot up onto the peg but I was only in shorts and sandals. Today I was in proper bike gear (kevlar jeans, knee armour, calf length boots, armoured jacket, gloves and skid lid :D) because you just don't know when someone else might try to ruin your day.......

BB always starts 1st stab of the button and idles smoothly........ I get on and manage to squeeze my left leg up and get my foot on the peg....... so I'm thinking I'll just use my right leg when I have to stop.... easy eh?....... well that plan fell apart just over my driveway as I struggled to see into the sunrise (at 6am it was brutally low)..... put both feet down to be able to turn my stiff-ish old neck to the right - no cars (y)- I'm away....... right leg up, bugger, the left can't make it, right leg down, left still fails to retract successfully but does take the side stand down with it so the engine quits and I coast to an embarrassing stop not 30meters from home. :LOL: I put the stand up again and this time fit the left foot onto the peg while standing on my right leg, then I have perfect rear vision in my mirrors (a BB design feature) and I'm away...

Aaaaaaaaaaah, I've missed this............. smooth, torquey, perfect gear ratios, oooooooooh that's nice.......... off I go to try to get some good pics before the sun gets too high and overpowers my obsolete phone cam.

Job done, a couple of pics pass the photography 101 test, the rest will just have to do.

But........ I did feel it in my chest as my arms are up and forward a lot more than the more upright SDGT position, so I am more concerned about that than getting more flexibility into my left hip and thigh....... damn the bike felt nice - not just saying that because it's mine - it really is........ it was way ahead of it's time for quality and smoothness and lacks nothing in power, and has brilliant mirrors giving commanding rear vision. My flushed out brakes are rock hard at the lever and work very well (I cleaned and greased and replaced tatty rubber boots only 8k kms ago). I'd even be tempted to say it is a better bike than my $30k Super Duke GT......... but it's a sports design vs a cross over design.

Ah well, I got onto it and rode it 10kms..... that's a giant leap!....... but now I think the reach to the bars will be the killer for me (even my GP said riding was ok after heart surgery in 2018, so long as I didn't have to reach too far forwards).

Anyway, I got home, all systems performing correctly (no stuff-up from the mechanic - me o_O) and now I'm even more :( than ever at coming to terms with selling...... but my other option (parking it in the lounge room as an artwork) would simply destroy the bike over time........ it needs to be used and has plenty of life left - that's why I kept it when I bought the 1290SDGT instead of trading it in (unaware of what was just around the corner for my health).

PS I had a surprise visit from a young bloke I've known for 30yrs, and when he spotted the BB his eyes lit up. I told him it was 15yrs old... he was gobsmacked - said it looked brand new - but his wife has told him, it's a choice between her or a m/cycle..... no exceptions,...... so he's not getting back on any bikes :LOL:.

Tat's life

:ROFLMAO:

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(y)(y)...... I took my BB out this morning for a 60km ride, before the Bathurst V8 race started ;). With the Helibars back on and a sheepskin pad on the seat, I fitted on way easier than last Sunday........ I have been hammering my chassis with extra exercises and enthusiasm during the week, so it seems I've gained a % or 2 in flexibility already.

I can see myself doing more rides on this bike now, whereas a week ago I was at rock bottom.......... :eek:...... so very nearly booked an assessment for sale / consignment deal with my local dealership's buyer....... a close call.... but now it looks likely I'll soon be fully able to ride & enjoy my BB, with only annual oil changes over the next 3yrs....... then I can do all the fluids again and repeat :D......

Sorry for those who might have been thinking about buying a nice BB...... too late now :love:...... and thanks to the boys on the forum for giving me a rev up about increasing my rehab exercises........ (y)

I could still end up selling the Bird one day, to cut my annual costs or make more room for my ultra reliable KTM SDGT, but at the moment it's worth more to me riding it occasionally, than a few $000 extra in my account.

:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts