Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an issue where I was out on a ride and it literally died on me mid corner and then refused to start. FI light was reading a Pulse gen code. I replaced it with a new one and it still would not start. It would try to catch but would not run. It would run on starting fluid, which made me think that the spark side of things was sorted out and that I would need to look at fuel issues instead. At the time the pump was priming and my mind went to the Fuel Pressure Regulator, so I replaced that as well (Why not, it is old enough to get a new one..)

Now I can't seem to find a fuse that is blown (supposedly there is a Main 30 amp somewhere for fuel?) and I have checked all the ones I could findwith my multi meter. Is it the lean angle sensor? How would I check that? or can I bypass it somehow? any other suggestions?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Now I can't seem to find a fuse that is blown (supposedly there is a Main 30 amp somewhere for fuel?) and I have checked all the ones I could find with my multi meter. Is it the lean angle sensor? How would I check that? or can I bypass it somehow? any other suggestions?
certainly looks like a Fuel issue doesn't it ?

Re: main 30 amp fuse..... I'm not sure which one you are talking about, but have you referenced the service manual posted else where on this forum ? YOu can also go to partzilla.com and look at parts diagrams if you really need to.

Bypassing the lean sensor should be cake. It's just a switch isn't it ?

Also wanted to ask,
  • why are you assuming that there is a blown fuse ?
  • Is it throwing a code after you replaced the Pulse Generator ?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
The bike was running fine, then it died accompanied by a new FI light? Then it wouldn't start. Is this correct?

Pulse gen code, or any code really, can also be triggered by an electrical fault in the wiring. These can be hard to find. As stated above, the "loom fix" is fixing an electrical shortcoming in the loom.
Type service manual into search function above. It's there somewhere 500+ pages.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I directly wired the fuel pump so I know it works, but even when it's running the bike still won't fire. There is no FI light anymore, most definitely makes me a little confused there, my next step is to try starting fluid to see if it fires like it did before or if something has changed since I installed the pulse generator and new fuel pressure regulator. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Bit of a long shot, but have you got any cracks in the vacuum lines?
Hows your battery and charging circuit? Since it died all of a sudden.
There are 2 30amp fuses, 1 in the starter solenoid and 1 by itself in a white capsule, check for corrosion in both and get some contact switch cleaner.
The reason I put loom fix is because this factory connection plug is known to corrode up, and can cause all sorts of fun like you have bad earths some were.
Keep us all posted 👍

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
There are two 30 amp fuses on the Fi.
One is in the starter solenoid - but if the bike cranks over - this one will be good.
The other is near the relays under the seat - it is normally in it's own little white box.
It is this one under the seat that powers the Fi system.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Attach a spare spark plug to a spark plug wire. Ground it and turn the engine over. Find out if there is actually a spark.

Note: there is an open 2 pin connector near the taillights. Jump it with a paperclip to check for hidden/stored codes. Only active codes show on the dash.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I hard wired the pump and now know that it is good (as it runs) but the bike still wont fire...
the FI light is not flashing and stays lit with the jumpered terminal... the tank is filled and i dont want to take it off if I can avoid it, is there any other thing I should check?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
also attempted to start with starter fluid and bike wants to start but knocks quite badly. Not to sure what to think about that. I would assume at that point that it is getting spark of some kind as it is firing, just not running.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts