Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post here. I thought you guys would like to here my experience with my Honda. I had recently purchased a non running 2000 Blackbird, took a risk but it was cheap enough and I love a challenge. The guy I got it from said he put a new battery on it and from then on he could not get it started, said it was not injecting, so he went through all the obvious stuff and even went down the road of getting another ECU with key, loom, throttle bodies etc, he got so fed up with it and sold it to me. So I ended up with a half stripped down bike and boxes of bits, ECUs and keys. It's been on my bench for over 3 months, so I thought I'd have a go and get into it. First of all fitted a new battery (no he didn't give me the new one), played around with the ECUs and different keys and no life except neutral and oil lights, it would turn over but no "key" or "F1" light, no fuel pump running and no spark, so read up about issues on here (great help by the way). Went through the loom for continuity with a fine tooth comb. Found out about the loom mod (on here), that had already be done. I made sure the all the terminals in all the Plug connectors were staying in place when fitted, then I noticed that one pin in one of the ECUs was bent therefore not engaging with the block connector terminal. Again after juggling keys around the F1 and dash key light come on and go out after several seconds, awesome, now got somewhere. At this moment the tank and airbox is off the bike, airbox sensor pluged in. Pulled a plug lead off stuck a loose plug in that I had lying about, whizzed the engine over and now was sparking, stuck the plug lead back in, squirted a bit of fuel directly into the throttle bodies from a squeezy bottle, and hey presto it fired up. Now with the tank back on and all connected, Ignition on, pump making a noise, tied starting it, nothing, just turning over on the starter. Buy that time I had a gut full. Next day I thought best check to see if there was any fuel pressure, removed the banjo bolt from bottom of tank, stuck finger over hole and turned Ignition on, no pressure but pump was pumping. Took tank off and removed Fuel pump assy from tank, and there it stood out like a sore thumb, the pipe from the pump to the pump/tank housing had come off, put it back on and made sure it was secure assembled it and stuck tank back on bike, connected everything up, and now you can here the pump fight a bit when ignition is turned on, hit the button and it fired up, engine runs like a swiss watch. The ECU on the bike now is not the one originally fitted, it is the spare one that was given to me in the sale of the bike, so now when I get time I will try and figure why the original one is not working. I'll finish fitting the rest of the stuff to the bike this weekend and take it out for a spin.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
Congrats
Always satisfying getting a down bike working. Electrical issues are always the toughest. It's not like you can see the flow so it's hard to find the break point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts