Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Hoping I can ask for help.
I have a 1996 carb cbr1100xx and at low speed and pinned throttle all is well however, cruising at 70mph in any gear I have this jerking motion, it’s like I’m blipping the throttle very slightly or the bike is coughing but only at cruise speed. It’s like riding a horse. I have taken it to a garage and had the carbs cleaned, full service including fluids air filter etc. The Mercanic did say that the pins in the carb are slightly worn and I need a new cam chain tensioner. Could either of these be causing my issue? Or any other ideas as to cause? I can’t afford to just throw parts at it till I’ve replaced it.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Your CCT may well be worn out but I don't think it would cause these exact symptoms. If CCT is worn it will make a bucket of bolts sound at 4000prm. Very easy to replace. In a pinch, you can add a few turns to the spring to bring it back to life.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Make sure your ECU is secured. If it is loose you will get symptoms you described. If you have a fender eliminator installed the original place for the ECU is gone and you will need to secure it with strap or bungie cord.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I'd start with opening the tank lid and going for a ride to see if the tank is venting poorly. Consider your vacuum valve is possibly bad. Are your air flow blocks in place? Usually that affects at higher speeds. There's a lot more that could cause it, go with the easiest first.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You don't say how long you've had the bike. Has it always done this?

Sounds like you may be missing the air deflectors in the front of the bike. The CV carbs don't like big changes in pressure. You can do a search here for the info. Easy fix to check this would be to block one of the air intakes and go for a ride.

If you have an aftermarket air filter, like k&n, this could also cause similar issues. Standard air filter will solve it.

Sent from my LM-G810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
433 Posts
It sounds like surging
A reason for surging can be the tps is kaput and sending wonky voltage signals to the ecu
You can test it with an ohm meter
Typically it will fail in mid track
The ohms is about 40 fully closed to 4000 fully open
I had this exact failure last year

Paul

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
What Mello said. Classic symptom of missing defectors inside fairing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts