Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. So my 01 with only 5k miles I replaced the fuel pump as it sat for awhile, drove it 200 miles. On the way home I was forced to get ethanol :( it drove home just fine, no issues.
went to ride the next day and battery was dead.. I may have left the key in the On position, but I used the kill switch the night before. I charged it up and now it won’t even idle for more than 30 seconds..
my question is, think this is fuel related, or something because I left the key on all night? Would that burn a coil out?
The fuel pump is priming, and when I cycle the key a couple times it starts easier. So I think it’s more fuel related.. FPR?
anyways I’m rambling.. any thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Registered
433 Posts
You need to get a voltmeter on your battery to start with.
Charge your battery as normal so it's full, then put a multimeter on the posts, hit the start button and see by how much does the voltage drop, if its below 10v then your battery mite be done, how old is it?.
As for coils, no even if you left the ignition on you will not damage them in any way.
But if your battery was over 4-5 years old and you totally drained it, then it mite have been it's death nail.
If you can charge it up like I put, then start it, look at the multimeter and you should get over 14v above 3000 revs, which would tell you that your charging system is ok, if it struggles to get 13v and above after 3000 revs, then you need to check your reg,/rec and stator.
The only other thing is, did you use a OEM fuel pump when you changed it?...
Some of the cheap ones from China are erm not so good.
Oh and what fuel did you put in it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to get a voltmeter on your battery to start with.
Charge your battery as normal so it's full, then put a multimeter on the posts, hit the start button and see by how much does the voltage drop, if its below 10v then your battery mite be done, how old is it?.
As for coils, no even if you left the ignition on you will not damage them in any way.
But if your battery was over 4-5 years old and you totally drained it, then it mite have been it's death nail.
If you can charge it up like I put, then start it, look at the multimeter and you should get over 14v above 3000 revs, which would tell you that your charging system is ok, if it struggles to get 13v and above after 3000 revs, then you need to check your reg,/rec and stator.
The only other thing is, did you use a OEM fuel pump when you changed it?...
Some of the cheap ones from China are erm not so good.
Oh and what fuel did you put in it?
I will check the voltage and let you know my findings. Thanks for the advice. Yes the fuel pump he put on looks like a China pump.

·
Administrator
9,634 Posts
The coils don't typically go partial. They either work or don't.
Pull the vacuum line on the FPR and fire the bike and see if the port leaks. Be sure to plug the line you pulled or your going to get a very high idle speed.

Reactions: bikerian

·
Registered
581 Posts
G'day Barnettworks,

I agree, battery has been drained and could be dead. Try a reviver recharge....if your charger can do a deep cycle reviver for a few days, then let it rest for a night/12 hrs.

Test the volts like Biker Ian said, should see about 12.6v across the terminals, dropping to 12.2 key on, then if the battery has good capacity, it will cold crank above 10v before the engine fires and pumps 14.3v in at fast idle. Hot idle only puts 13v in which is not charging the battery.

I usually notice batteries are on the way out after 2-3 years of regular riding. Charging overnight only tricks the multimeter into reading a good voltage when in fact the battery is almost dead and can't run the injectors as well as the fuel pump and coils. If you keep riding with a tired battery you risk overheating the R/R or stator so if that battery isn't a recent purchase, I bet it's the problem ;).

(y)

Reactions: Barnettworks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The coils don't typically go partial. They either work or don't.
Pull the vacuum line on the FPR and fire the bike and see if the port leaks. Be sure to plug the line you pulled or your going to get a very high idle speed.
I pulled the vacuum hose, I am getting drips of fuel out of the FPR, plugging the vacuum line didn’t seem to make a difference as shown in the video.
So what brand FPR do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The OEM one is still available from Honda. Also, check your oil for fuel smell and replace/flush if necessary. Otherwise it will be diluted by fuel and that isn't good for your engine wear...

·
Administrator
9,634 Posts
👆
What leighb said. Oil and fuel don't mix. Get 2 new filters and 8 quarts of oil. Drain your oil change the filter fire it up let it run for about a minute. Dump it again replace the filter and put in new oil.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay I have it figured out. I purchased a new fuel pump but that wasn’t the issue. The former owner barely replaced it, and the install wasn’t quite right. From the fuel filter to the housing, the hose clamp he used wasn’t near strong enough for the PSI and the hose was loose, so even though I could hear the pump running, it was just looping the fuel back in the tank.

I want to thank everyone for your input and quick replies. Really appreciate it! Running like a champ again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts