Hello Guys. I replied to the "What have you done to your bird lately?" on 11-17-2019 where I stated I am starting work on my Bird after she has sat waiting patiently for 6 years.
The last line was "Watch this space, there may well be Pics, Questions or Appeals for required bits..." so here's the first update of current progress and snags.
I got it to the workshop and the full strip down went fairly smoothly before the Christmas break.
2020 Bird Proj 01.jpg 2020 Bird Proj 02.jpg 2020 Bird Proj 03.jpg
All panels have had any cracks or dinks repaired and have been repainted.
2020 Bird Proj 04.jpg2020 Bird Proj 05.jpg 2020 Bird Proj 06.jpg 2020 Bird Proj 07.jpg
The Wheels were looking rough where they had started to corrode under the paint and was bubbling up, the removable engine cases were the same, so these and the Sub frames went away for stripping/blasting before Christmas and they came back today and are now in to be repainted with a full Bake.
My main task today was to extract the 4 exhaust stud bolts that just snapped at the Nut level. This did NOT go well.
2020 Bird Proj 08.jpg
The studs in ports 1 & 2 we tried heating with butane torch and removing with external Stud extractor. They just crumbled away lower down. Ports 3 & 4 were drilled with Counter clockwise drill bits and tried the easyout method...
The easyout lost and ended up blunted!
So unless someone has a clever Idea to try, next week I will have to go with the full (careful) drilling out route of what remains and hope I can complete these without damaging the thread walls.