1998 FI issue
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the CBRXX.com.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: 1998 FI issue

  1. #1

    Member #
    34714
    Bike(s)
    1999 blackbird
    Join Date
    Apr 17 2018
    Location
    Burnham on sea
    Posts
    9
    Liked
    0 times

    1998 FI issue

    Hi, i recently brought a 1998 fuel injection bird.
    It had been sitting in a garage for 10 months, started straight up and flew through MOT.
    Only issue i noticed on the test ride was once warm it wouldn't tick over.
    I solved this by raising the idel screw a couple of turns. Now bike runs ok.

    Last year the last owner replaced the radiator and fan in france while on a tour. But he said it was a newer model one so it didnt connect up wire wise.
    A seperate manual fan switch is now fitted.

    Long post i know but bear with me 😛

    So to my problem.....
    The bike smels like it runs realy rich, and my mpg is around 22mpg im lucky if i get 100 miles a tank.
    No FI light is on (comes on and goes out on start up)

    My first FI bike so i am a little newbish

    Could the overfueling be caused by no temp readings (gague dont work either) and the FI thinking its still stone cold?

    Or am i way off the mark?

  2. # ADS
    Sponsor
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

    CBRXX.com is the original Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird community! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!


  3. #2

    Member #
    28273
    Bike(s)
    2000 blackbird
    Join Date
    May 25 2017
    Location
    new orleans
    Posts
    324
    Liked
    114 times

    Re: 1998 FI issue

    1998 FI, must be an early model, I thought they officially FI started in 1999, or maybe its a carby that has been converted to FI.

    Anyway, first check should be the FPR, fuel pressure regulator. Screws onto the right end of the fuel rail. If it fails, raw fuel is pulled thru the vacuum line into the engine and crankcase. To check, lift the back of the tank and support. Pull the small tube (vacuum tube) off the FPR and look and smell for raw fuel. Also, and most important, check the oil level. There maybe gas in the oil. If so, do not run bike like this.

  4. #3

    Member #
    2343
    Bike(s)
    2K Titanium, 85 V65 Sabre (Totalled but saved me)
    Join Date
    Sep 24 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    6,757
    Liked
    1741 times

    Re: 1998 FI issue

    Second to Fizzy's recommendations.
    Route 191 formerly Route 666 Some say that this section of the
    road has 1100 curves in 95 miles.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    CBRXX.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Supercharged Mod
    Member #
    4781
    Bike(s)
    99 Bird. 03 Supercharged KwakBird. DR800 Big
    Join Date
    Oct 25 2008
    Location
    UK South West
    Posts
    12,294
    Liked
    3887 times

    Re: 1998 FI issue

    Quote Originally Posted by beestoys View Post
    Second to Fizzy's recommendations.
    Thirded.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzy
    1998 FI, must be an early model, I thought they officially FI started in 1999, or maybe its a carby that has been converted to FI.
    That is true. The first officially registered in the UK were April 1999 ..... my Daily Bird was one of the very first in the UK.
    Full of Hot air? Intercool yourself............ you know it makes sense

  7. #5

    Member #
    34714
    Bike(s)
    1999 blackbird
    Join Date
    Apr 17 2018
    Location
    Burnham on sea
    Posts
    9
    Liked
    0 times
    Was first reged 17th dec 98
    It shocked me being FI as i also expected a 98 to be carb.
    Clock has its fi light and fairing tail has its fi type decals.
    Once i get my daughter's fazer of the ramp on thursday i can take a good look at her.
    Oil level has been stable on the 300 miles i Have done so far with no fuel smell to oil.
    Will try to take a peek under tank asap. Thanks.
    So im definitely wide of the mark with no coolant temp sensor connected then?

  8. #6

    Member #
    28273
    Bike(s)
    2000 blackbird
    Join Date
    May 25 2017
    Location
    new orleans
    Posts
    324
    Liked
    114 times

    Re: 1998 FI issue

    No, not wide of the mark at all. Hook up all the sensors for sure, and check the wax unit too. Just that FPR is #1 on the list.

    Edit. Might be a good idea to make sure its a true FI and not a bitsa. Not that there is anything wrong with that. There are a number of clues to look for. UK crowd will be better at this, as you are in UK. Try posting some pics
    Last edited by fizzy; 05-20-2019 at 8:15 AM.

  9. #7

    Member #
    19244
    Bike(s)
    CBR1100XX6 Black
    Join Date
    Nov 04 2014
    Location
    Boston, UK
    Posts
    1,224
    Liked
    322 times

    Re: 1998 FI issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbiker View Post
    Hi, i recently brought a 1998 fuel injection bird.
    It had been sitting in a garage for 10 months, started straight up and flew through MOT.
    Only issue i noticed on the test ride was once warm it wouldn't tick over.
    I solved this by raising the idel screw a couple of turns. Now bike runs ok.

    Last year the last owner replaced the radiator and fan in france while on a tour. But he said it was a newer model one so it didnt connect up wire wise.
    A seperate manual fan switch is now fitted.

    Long post i know but bear with me 😛

    So to my problem.....
    The bike smels like it runs realy rich, and my mpg is around 22mpg im lucky if i get 100 miles a tank.
    No FI light is on (comes on and goes out on start up)

    My first FI bike so i am a little newbish

    Could the overfueling be caused by no temp readings (gague dont work either) and the FI thinking its still stone cold?

    Or am i way off the mark?
    Fi users temp sensor to plot fuel level so if it's disconnected may cause overfuelling. Don't confuse the fan sensor on rad with temp sensor in block though- early Fi had the two , later ecu controlled fan. This would explain why you had to up the tick over once she warned up and the fast idle(wax unit) closed, taking away the fast idle
    The answer is 42

  10. #8

    Member #
    34714
    Bike(s)
    1999 blackbird
    Join Date
    Apr 17 2018
    Location
    Burnham on sea
    Posts
    9
    Liked
    0 times
    So if it was infact a later radiator he fitted that would be why it couldnt be plugged in.
    How could i sort this? Is it the fan and radiator i need to swap out? Or just 1.

  11. #9

    Member #
    2343
    Bike(s)
    2K Titanium, 85 V65 Sabre (Totalled but saved me)
    Join Date
    Sep 24 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    6,757
    Liked
    1741 times

    Re: 1998 FI issue

    The ECU uses a sensor on the back of the thermostat housing to check engine temp. The sensor on the radiator only controls the ground circuit on the fan. If you want the control back with sensor then you'll have to swap out the radiator if there isn't a place in the tank to mount it.
    Route 191 formerly Route 666 Some say that this section of the
    road has 1100 curves in 95 miles.

  12. #10

    Member #
    34714
    Bike(s)
    1999 blackbird
    Join Date
    Apr 17 2018
    Location
    Burnham on sea
    Posts
    9
    Liked
    0 times
    Im a little confused about where you mention tank

  13. #11

    Member #
    2343
    Bike(s)
    2K Titanium, 85 V65 Sabre (Totalled but saved me)
    Join Date
    Sep 24 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    6,757
    Liked
    1741 times

    Re: 1998 FI issue

    I'm sorry the side tank on the radiator. It'll be on the stator side if the bike. You'll see a sensor or sensor bung capped off of it has the capability for a sensor. You can see it through the vent duct on that side about half way up the back of the tank.
    Route 191 formerly Route 666 Some say that this section of the
    road has 1100 curves in 95 miles.

  14. #12

    Member #
    34714
    Bike(s)
    1999 blackbird
    Join Date
    Apr 17 2018
    Location
    Burnham on sea
    Posts
    9
    Liked
    0 times
    Still not had a chance to get to her.
    Though i have seen the vin 10th letter is X.
    I belive this denotes 1999 even though reged mid dec 1998.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #13

    Member #
    19244
    Bike(s)
    CBR1100XX6 Black
    Join Date
    Nov 04 2014
    Location
    Boston, UK
    Posts
    1,224
    Liked
    322 times

    Re: 1998 FI issue

    Your picture looks to be an fi- gold front discs and engine cases, you state she's got the fi decals and fi lamp in place of sidestand indicator. Because of the element of doubt with the year etc, may be worth checking frame no on headstock and engine number against log book just to make sure. Unlikely to be a modded carbie as lots to change to do this, hopefully is a very early Fi. The frame number you refer to may denote model year, this can be ahead of manufacture date- the Japs release a 99 model year in late 98, which then may be on a 98 plate.
    Last edited by Krisbiker2; 05-22-2019 at 6:48 PM.
    The answer is 42

  16. #14

    Member #
    37265
    Bike(s)
    017 1290SDGT & 05 CBR1100XX
    Join Date
    Mar 21 2019
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    53
    Liked
    11 times

    Re: 1998 FI issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Krisbiker2 View Post
    Your picture looks to be an fi- gold front discs and engine cases, you state she's got the fi decals and fi lamp in place of sidestand indicator. Because of the element of doubt with the year etc, may be worth checking frame no on headstock and engine number against log book just to make sure. Unlikely to be a modded carbie as lots to change to do this, hopefully is a very early Fi. The frame number you refer to may denote model year, this can be ahead of manufacture date- the Japs release a 99 model year in late 98, which then may be on a 98 plate.

    Yes this will be correct for your bike (it also has the fat cats in the muffler pipes - the carb bikes had skinny non cat pipes)..... I had a friend who was a dealer principal, he said Honda only built the BB in one proddy run for each year..... then they were shipped out around the world to importers warehouses, so the dates on the compliance plates and rego dates are not the build dates. So you look to have a 99 BB sold in Dec98.

    BTW - you have a missing lower fairing cowl screw (down near the brake/ground).

    Good luck sourcing the issue and getting it to run nicely again .

    Ps the other giveaway would be the fuel tank capacity should be 2ltr bigger than a carb model...... so yours should be (from memory) 23ltrs in the handbook(?) vs 21ltrs for a carb tank(?).

    Take care removing the fairing panels..... there are tricky little hidden screws - maybe someone has a diagram to help..... it's easy once you've done one, but be careful first time round.
    Last edited by Aussie Dave; 05-22-2019 at 7:40 PM.

  17. #15

    Member #
    69
    Bike(s)
    98 Titanium CBR1100 XX Superblackbird
    Join Date
    Oct 20 2006
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    946
    Liked
    105 times

    Re: 1998 FI issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dave View Post
    Yes this will be correct for your bike (it also has the fat cats in the muffler pipes - the carb bikes had skinny non cat pipes).
    I believe that's the case here in Oz but I seem to remember reading/someone saying that the cats came out in ~01 in the UK and the US didn't get them at all AFAIK
    98 TITANIUM Blackbird
    OzBB.net Administrator


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Bird died - possible fuel pump issue ? HISS issue ?
    By Highside in forum Engine / Airbox / Exhaust / Fuel Delivery
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-15-2016, 2:03 AM
  2. Potential FI issue coming up?
    By mikeyw64 in forum Engine / Airbox / Exhaust / Fuel Delivery
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-07-2015, 5:42 AM
  3. Electrical issue - FI Pump
    By echelon in forum Engine / Airbox / Exhaust / Fuel Delivery
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-03-2014, 11:11 AM
  4. New guy fixing his FI light issue. With thanks.
    By Datum13 in forum Introductions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-08-2011, 1:06 PM
  5. engines carb(1998) and FI(1999)
    By zlrx in forum Engine / Airbox / Exhaust / Fuel Delivery
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-07-2008, 10:34 AM